Apr 19, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
The good news: most people don’t think Joey Votto — who leads baseball by a wide margin with 24 walks and a .526 on-base percentage — is really struggling.
The bad news: Reds broadcaster Marty Brennaman, who has a large audience and is very persuasive, thinks Votto is struggling, according to Reds blog Red Reporter.
Veteran scribe Hal McCoy does his best to dissuade the struggling Votto narrative as well, quoting manager Dusty Baker while using some good old-fashioned logic.
The thing about Votto is that he still is on base more than half the time he goes to the plate, a .521 on-base average with 22 walks. It is difficult to hit when pitchers nibble at the plate, refusing to offer tantalizing pitches to hit.
“That’s what I used to do,” said manager Dusty Baker. “We’d get 18 hits and I’d get none, then we’d get six hits and I’d have four.”
ABOUT VOTTO’S batting average, Baker said, “I’m not really worried. It’s only 50 at bats (47, actually). It’s hard to explain. Everybody is going to have his turn and Joey will have his turn because water seeks its own level.
Votto also started the 2012 season slowly, carrying a .269 average with one homer and 14 walks through his team’s first 15 games. Over his next 75 games, he hit .348 before a knee injury relegated him to the disabled list.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 20
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 15
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 34
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)