Apr 19, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
The good news: most people don’t think Joey Votto — who leads baseball by a wide margin with 24 walks and a .526 on-base percentage — is really struggling.
The bad news: Reds broadcaster Marty Brennaman, who has a large audience and is very persuasive, thinks Votto is struggling, according to Reds blog Red Reporter.
Veteran scribe Hal McCoy does his best to dissuade the struggling Votto narrative as well, quoting manager Dusty Baker while using some good old-fashioned logic.
The thing about Votto is that he still is on base more than half the time he goes to the plate, a .521 on-base average with 22 walks. It is difficult to hit when pitchers nibble at the plate, refusing to offer tantalizing pitches to hit.
“That’s what I used to do,” said manager Dusty Baker. “We’d get 18 hits and I’d get none, then we’d get six hits and I’d have four.”
ABOUT VOTTO’S batting average, Baker said, “I’m not really worried. It’s only 50 at bats (47, actually). It’s hard to explain. Everybody is going to have his turn and Joey will have his turn because water seeks its own level.
Votto also started the 2012 season slowly, carrying a .269 average with one homer and 14 walks through his team’s first 15 games. Over his next 75 games, he hit .348 before a knee injury relegated him to the disabled list.
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 16
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 11
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 182
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 34
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 87
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (183)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)