Apr 19, 2013, 1:18 PM EST
John Maine secured a spot in the Marlins’ bullpen after not pitching in the majors at all in 2011 and 2012, but his comeback lasted all of four appearances.
Miami has designated Maine for assignment after he coughed up 10 runs in 7.1 innings, allowing 20 of the 40 batters he faced to reach base.
Maine is 32 years old now and hasn’t been healthy and effective in the same season since 2008, so this could be the end of the line. Right-hander Tom Koehler takes his spot in the Marlins’ bullpen.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 2
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 18
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 15
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 144
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)