Apr 19, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
John Maine secured a spot in the Marlins’ bullpen after not pitching in the majors at all in 2011 and 2012, but his comeback lasted all of four appearances.
Miami has designated Maine for assignment after he coughed up 10 runs in 7.1 innings, allowing 20 of the 40 batters he faced to reach base.
Maine is 32 years old now and hasn’t been healthy and effective in the same season since 2008, so this could be the end of the line. Right-hander Tom Koehler takes his spot in the Marlins’ bullpen.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 41
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 16
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)