Apr 19, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
John Maine secured a spot in the Marlins’ bullpen after not pitching in the majors at all in 2011 and 2012, but his comeback lasted all of four appearances.
Miami has designated Maine for assignment after he coughed up 10 runs in 7.1 innings, allowing 20 of the 40 batters he faced to reach base.
Maine is 32 years old now and hasn’t been healthy and effective in the same season since 2008, so this could be the end of the line. Right-hander Tom Koehler takes his spot in the Marlins’ bullpen.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)