Apr 19, 2013, 1:18 PM EDT
John Maine secured a spot in the Marlins’ bullpen after not pitching in the majors at all in 2011 and 2012, but his comeback lasted all of four appearances.
Miami has designated Maine for assignment after he coughed up 10 runs in 7.1 innings, allowing 20 of the 40 batters he faced to reach base.
Maine is 32 years old now and hasn’t been healthy and effective in the same season since 2008, so this could be the end of the line. Right-hander Tom Koehler takes his spot in the Marlins’ bullpen.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 0
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 5
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)