Apr 19, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
The Rangers placed Matt Harrison on the disabled list last week with back trouble. That back trouble is worse than first feared:
Rangers GM Jon Daniels says Matt Harrison has a herniated disk. Will have back surgery Tuesday.
— Anthony Andro (@aandro) April 19, 2013
There’s no official timetable yet, but Andro tweets that Harrison likely won’t be back until after the All-Star break.
Harrison had started 30-plus games in each of the past two years. And he just signed a five-year, $55 million extension in January. Tough break.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 115
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 41
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 368
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (368)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (308)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (116)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (85)