Apr 19, 2013, 9:41 AM EST
That’s the message from Daily News media guy Bob Raissman to Mets color guy Keith Hernandez:
Pull back on the gaga factor. If you don’t, crossing over from analyst into Fan Boy territory is easy to do. Hernandez has not crossed that line but definitely straddled it … Hernandez should have limited the reminders and let the pictures do the talking. Instead he delivered lines like: “I’m just enjoying watching this man work.” Or how Harvey was “executing” pitches. Or how “relentless” Harvey was. This was evident just by watching. Hernandez was “enjoying” Harvey’s performance so much he often stated the obvious, something he rarely does.
Being a fanboy is bad for broadcasters when it causes them to ignore what’s happening in front of their faces (see Harrelson, Hawk). But what’s the harm in a guy actually marveling at a marvelous talent? If Harvey has a bad game and Hernandez blames it on the umps or becomes some sort of apologist, fine, he may be too in the bag. But do we really expect announcers to not enjoy what they’re seeing from time to time? Especially if the announcer, like Hernandez, almost always plays it straight-up otherwise?
- Roy Halladay is retiring 48
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 38
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 47
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)