Apr 19, 2013, 9:41 AM EDT
That’s the message from Daily News media guy Bob Raissman to Mets color guy Keith Hernandez:
Pull back on the gaga factor. If you don’t, crossing over from analyst into Fan Boy territory is easy to do. Hernandez has not crossed that line but definitely straddled it … Hernandez should have limited the reminders and let the pictures do the talking. Instead he delivered lines like: “I’m just enjoying watching this man work.” Or how Harvey was “executing” pitches. Or how “relentless” Harvey was. This was evident just by watching. Hernandez was “enjoying” Harvey’s performance so much he often stated the obvious, something he rarely does.
Being a fanboy is bad for broadcasters when it causes them to ignore what’s happening in front of their faces (see Harrelson, Hawk). But what’s the harm in a guy actually marveling at a marvelous talent? If Harvey has a bad game and Hernandez blames it on the umps or becomes some sort of apologist, fine, he may be too in the bag. But do we really expect announcers to not enjoy what they’re seeing from time to time? Especially if the announcer, like Hernandez, almost always plays it straight-up otherwise?
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 21
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 55
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 22
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 139
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 133
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 36
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (139)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)