Apr 19, 2013, 10:15 PM EDT
As Craig posted earlier, Matt Harrison will undergo surgery to repair a herniated disk in his back, which will likely keep him out until the All-Star break. In his absence, Rangers GM Jon Daniels will be relying on in-house options, reports Todd Wills of ESPN Dallas.
Daniels said Friday he doesn’t expect to run out and make a trade. April doesn’t make for the best trading season and the Rangers do have guys rehabbing in Arizona that could make an impact — Colby Lewis, Neftali Feliz and Martin Perez.
“We’re always keeping our eyes open,” Daniels said. “But I don’t think we’ll do anything from outside. We’ll play it out. We like the guys we’ve got. We like the guys that are on the mend. That’s obviously an important group for us in Arizona.”
Justin Grimm was added to the rotation after Harrison faltered in his first two starts, posting an 8.44 ERA in 10.2 innings. Grimm will make his second start of the season and his fourth career start on Sunday against the Mariners.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 29
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)