What to watch tonight: Stephen Strasburg vs. Matt Harvey

Apr 19, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT

kid watching tv

I’ve been looking forward to tonight’s Nationals-Mets game all week for the Stephen Strasburg-Matt Harvey matchup. Obviously arguments can be made for other guys, but for my money the 24-year-old Strasburg and the 24-year-old Harvey are the two young pitchers with the most upside in all of baseball.

Strasburg has made 48 career starts with a 2.94 ERA, .224 opponents’ batting average, and 10.9 strikeouts per nine innings. Harvey has made 13 career starts with a 2.21 ERA, .173 opponents’ batting average, and 10.5 strikeouts per nine innings.

Among all starters with at least 75 innings since the beginning of last season Strasburg has the highest average fastball velocity at 95.7 miles per hour and Harvey ranks fourth at 94.6 miles per hour. They also rank No. 2 and No. 4 in strikeout rate during that span.

And better yet, here’s the all-time leaderboard for strikeouts per nine innings through age 24:

Kerry Wood           10.96
Stephen Strasburg    10.95
Brandon Beachy       10.57
Mark Prior           10.55
Matt Harvey          10.51

Strasburg and the Nationals are slight (-120) favorites over Harvey and the Mets.

1. dondada10 - Apr 19, 2013 at 11:59 AM

The first of what will hopefully be a career full of starts versus each other in the N.L. East.

I (and and a number of Mets fans) have been boycotting Citi Field the past couple of seasons. This is a matchup that almost makes me wanna break it.

Almost.

• fanofevilempire - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:22 PM

I wonder where Keith Hernandez will be watching, maybe I will watch with him.

2. bjbeliever - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Prior’s name on that list makes me fear for Harvey and Strats futures.

3. chill1184 - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Prediction:

Harvey loses, every media mental midget calls Harvey overrated

Strasburgh loses, it will billed as a “bad outing”

4. historiophiliac - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:16 PM

What? You don’t want to watch Torii Hunter go home again and help the Tigers beat the Angels as a nice little Friday FU? I don’t understand.

5. natslady - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Don’t get too excited. From Weather.com for NYC.

Tonight:
    Cloudy with rain likely. A thundershower is possible as well, especially early. Low 52F. Winds SW at 15 to 25 mph. Chance of rain 90%. Rainfall around a quarter of an inch.

6. knowlegeforyou - Apr 19, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I think Strasburg will have the better career, although Harvey is quite impressive. Can’t wait for my braves to get Beach back

7. jon3068 - Apr 19, 2013 at 2:13 PM

All but one of those guys have had arm surgery. Coming soon to Matt Harvey’s future…

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5464)