Apr 20, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT
Prior to last night’s game, the Angels placed third baseman Alberto Callapso on the 15-day disabled list with right calf tightness. Callaspo suffered the injury last Thursday against the Athletics and originally expected to only miss a few days, but he hasn’t made enough progress to return to the lineup. Reliever Michael Kohn was called up from Triple-A Salt Lake to take his place on the roster.
The Angels are also missing Erick Aybar due to a bruised left heel, so they are currently going with Brendan Harris as their primary shortstop and Luis Jimenez at third base. The hope is that both Callaspo and Aybar will be ready to return when they are first eligible later this month.
Callaspo is hitting .273 (9-for-33) with one home run, one double and three RBI in nine games this season. The 30-year-old batted .252/.331/.361 with 10 home runs, 53 RBI and a .692 OPS in 138 games in 2012.
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 66
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 23
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 25
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 95
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 70
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)