Apr 20, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT
Prior to last night’s game, the Angels placed third baseman Alberto Callapso on the 15-day disabled list with right calf tightness. Callaspo suffered the injury last Thursday against the Athletics and originally expected to only miss a few days, but he hasn’t made enough progress to return to the lineup. Reliever Michael Kohn was called up from Triple-A Salt Lake to take his place on the roster.
The Angels are also missing Erick Aybar due to a bruised left heel, so they are currently going with Brendan Harris as their primary shortstop and Luis Jimenez at third base. The hope is that both Callaspo and Aybar will be ready to return when they are first eligible later this month.
Callaspo is hitting .273 (9-for-33) with one home run, one double and three RBI in nine games this season. The 30-year-old batted .252/.331/.361 with 10 home runs, 53 RBI and a .692 OPS in 138 games in 2012.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (87)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)