Apr 20, 2013, 11:50 AM EDT
Prior to last night’s game, the Angels placed third baseman Alberto Callapso on the 15-day disabled list with right calf tightness. Callaspo suffered the injury last Thursday against the Athletics and originally expected to only miss a few days, but he hasn’t made enough progress to return to the lineup. Reliever Michael Kohn was called up from Triple-A Salt Lake to take his place on the roster.
The Angels are also missing Erick Aybar due to a bruised left heel, so they are currently going with Brendan Harris as their primary shortstop and Luis Jimenez at third base. The hope is that both Callaspo and Aybar will be ready to return when they are first eligible later this month.
Callaspo is hitting .273 (9-for-33) with one home run, one double and three RBI in nine games this season. The 30-year-old batted .252/.331/.361 with 10 home runs, 53 RBI and a .692 OPS in 138 games in 2012.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 44
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 62
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)