Apr 20, 2013, 11:50 AM EST
Prior to last night’s game, the Angels placed third baseman Alberto Callapso on the 15-day disabled list with right calf tightness. Callaspo suffered the injury last Thursday against the Athletics and originally expected to only miss a few days, but he hasn’t made enough progress to return to the lineup. Reliever Michael Kohn was called up from Triple-A Salt Lake to take his place on the roster.
The Angels are also missing Erick Aybar due to a bruised left heel, so they are currently going with Brendan Harris as their primary shortstop and Luis Jimenez at third base. The hope is that both Callaspo and Aybar will be ready to return when they are first eligible later this month.
Callaspo is hitting .273 (9-for-33) with one home run, one double and three RBI in nine games this season. The 30-year-old batted .252/.331/.361 with 10 home runs, 53 RBI and a .692 OPS in 138 games in 2012.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 61
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)