Another setback for Ryan Madson

Apr 20, 2013, 9:45 PM EST

Ryan Madson AP AP

Ryan Madson hasn’t faced a Major League hitter in a regular season game since September 28, 2011. He signed with the Reds on a one-year, $8.5 million deal for the 2012 season, tore his UCL ligament during spring training, and had to have Tommy John surgery which ended his season before it ever began. The Angels picked him up on a one-year $3.5 million deal for 2013, but their luck isn’t any better than the Reds’.

The 32-year-old reliever faced live batters in a simulated game yesterday, which appeared to put him on track to return to the Angels’ bullpen during the season. Ken Rosenthal tweeted some disheartening news earlier:

1. hardballtalkusername - Apr 21, 2013 at 5:35 AM

Bummer for the Angels and Madson’s career. I have to point out that I heard Rosenthal and the Fox crew refer to Jered as Jeff Weaver and Mark Trumbo as Mike Trumbo. Well done Fox Sports on your preparation of what you claim to be the “game of the week”. Meanwhile, Eric Karros was trying to predict how many beach balls would be seen. Fox really needs to improve their coverage. I love the Saturday day game, but their announcers are terrible. That includes you Joe Buck (http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/07/joe-buck-admits-he-rarely-watches.html).

• cowboysoldiertx - Apr 21, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Ehhhhhh they all suck, I agree. I only like to listen to baseball and not watch it on TV so what the fuck do I know, though. Anyway, I smell a lost season for Mr. Madson.

2. kylewo - Apr 21, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Yeah, I think Eric Karros is one of the worst. He sort of just shows up, and mails it in.

3. sisqsage - Apr 21, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Madsen and Brian Wilson: two once great relievers who will likely never get back due to arm problems. Wilson is trying to come back from a second TJ, which is why he has been AWOL since that workout with the Mets, who weren’t impressed. Who was the last pitcher to make it back from a second TJ, or even performed at a level that was worth it?

• tuberippin - Apr 21, 2013 at 11:02 PM

Just off the top of my head, Joakim Soria just had his second Tommy John surgery and is currently a set-up man for the Rangers in their bullpen.

4. tuberippin - Apr 21, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I don’t mean to divert attention away from Madson, but every time I see Madson have a set-back, I think back to the Phillies choosing to (over)pay Papelbon on a multi-year contract over re-signing Madson to be the closer, and I breathe a sigh of relief for one of the very, very few moves Ruben Amaro has made as GM of the Phils that has panned out.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (6243)