Apr 20, 2013, 3:01 PM EDT
Brett Myers gave up two homers in five innings yesterday in a 3-2 loss to the Astros. He has now served up 10 long balls in 21 1/3 innings over his first four starts this season and currently holds a league-worst 8.02 ERA. While he has always been prone to the gopher ball, it appears there’s a reason for his early struggles.
According to Paul Hoynes of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Myers said after last night’s game that he has has dealt with soreness in the flexor tendon muscle in his right forearm since spring training. He was visited by manager Terry Francona, pitching coach Mickey Callaway and head athletic trainer Lonnie Soloff during the fifth inning last night, but was able to finish the frame.
“My velocity dropped, and I’m not sure why,” said Myers. “It just happened. They came out to see if I was all right.”
Myers averaged 91.6 mph on his fastball as a reliever with the Astros and White Sox, but it has dropped down to 88.4 mph with his move back to the rotation this year. It’s worth noting that he had the same average velocity during his last stint as a starter in 2011 when he posted a 4.46 ERA over 216 innings. Still, if his struggles continue, he could have a stint on the disabled list in his future.
Myers joined the Indians over the winter on a one-year, $7 million deal with an $8 million club option for 2014. The option becomes guaranteed if he throws 200 innings and passes a physical after the season.
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 4
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 85
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (86)