Apr 20, 2013, 5:19 PM EDT
Baseball was back in Boston this afternoon for the first time since Monday’s bombings at the Boston Marathon. And the Fenway faithful went home happy.
Capping off an emotional day, Daniel Nava delivered a dramatic three-run homer in the bottom of the eighth inning to lead the Red Sox to a 4-3 victory over the Royals. The Red Sox have now won seven straight and sit at 12-4 on the young season.
Nava’s blast off Kelvin Herrera made a winner out of Clay Buchholz, who gave up two runs over eight innings. He’s now 4-0 with a 0.90 ERA and 29/11 K/BB ratio in 30 innings over his first four starts.
Andrew Bailey made things interesting in the ninth inning by giving up a leadoff homer to Lorenzo Cain and putting the tying run on second base with two outs, but he managed to get Alex Gordon to ground out to end it. He has saves in three straight games since blowing his first chance in the Patriots’ Day game on Monday.
After his pointed comments during the pre-game ceremony, David Ortiz went 2-for-4 with an RBI single in his season debut. Oh, and Neil Diamond also showed up to lead the crowd in “Sweet Caroline” in the middle of the eighth inning. All in all, a pretty great day for Boston.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 5
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 35
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 44
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 89
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)