Apr 20, 2013, 2:27 PM EST
The Red Sox held an emotional pre-game ceremony this afternoon at Fenway Park to honor those affected by Monday’s Marathon bombings. Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick and Boston Police commissioner Edward Davis were both in attendance for the occasion and received generous applause from the crowd.
In a tradition started by the Boston Bruins on Wednesday night, the crowd sang the National Anthem in unison. You can watch that here. Then we had our ceremonial first pitch, which featured some local heroes: Matt Patterson, an off-duty firefighter, saved the life of a young boy on Monday. Steven Byrne, who was hospitalized after being injured during the bombings. And the father-and-son running team of Dick and Rick Hoyt.
Fenway did the ceremony right, but as our own Aaron Gleeman notes, David Ortiz stole the show before the players took the field.
Maybe a couple of you will take offense to the expletive, but it almost felt poignant given the hell that city has been through this week. Hey, the fans sure didn’t seem to mind.
UPDATE: Below you’ll find the (edited) video of Ortiz’s comments, but we think you’ll get the gist.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)