Apr 20, 2013, 2:27 PM EST
The Red Sox held an emotional pre-game ceremony this afternoon at Fenway Park to honor those affected by Monday’s Marathon bombings. Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick and Boston Police commissioner Edward Davis were both in attendance for the occasion and received generous applause from the crowd.
In a tradition started by the Boston Bruins on Wednesday night, the crowd sang the National Anthem in unison. You can watch that here. Then we had our ceremonial first pitch, which featured some local heroes: Matt Patterson, an off-duty firefighter, saved the life of a young boy on Monday. Steven Byrne, who was hospitalized after being injured during the bombings. And the father-and-son running team of Dick and Rick Hoyt.
Fenway did the ceremony right, but as our own Aaron Gleeman notes, David Ortiz stole the show before the players took the field.
Maybe a couple of you will take offense to the expletive, but it almost felt poignant given the hell that city has been through this week. Hey, the fans sure didn’t seem to mind.
UPDATE: Below you’ll find the (edited) video of Ortiz’s comments, but we think you’ll get the gist.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 33
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)