Apr 20, 2013, 2:27 PM EDT
The Red Sox held an emotional pre-game ceremony this afternoon at Fenway Park to honor those affected by Monday’s Marathon bombings. Massachusetts governor Deval Patrick and Boston Police commissioner Edward Davis were both in attendance for the occasion and received generous applause from the crowd.
In a tradition started by the Boston Bruins on Wednesday night, the crowd sang the National Anthem in unison. You can watch that here. Then we had our ceremonial first pitch, which featured some local heroes: Matt Patterson, an off-duty firefighter, saved the life of a young boy on Monday. Steven Byrne, who was hospitalized after being injured during the bombings. And the father-and-son running team of Dick and Rick Hoyt.
Fenway did the ceremony right, but as our own Aaron Gleeman notes, David Ortiz stole the show before the players took the field.
Maybe a couple of you will take offense to the expletive, but it almost felt poignant given the hell that city has been through this week. Hey, the fans sure didn’t seem to mind.
UPDATE: Below you’ll find the (edited) video of Ortiz’s comments, but we think you’ll get the gist.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (147)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)