Apr 20, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
After Dayan Viciedo left Thursday’s game with a strained left oblique, he was hoping to avoid an extended absence. However, the White Sox announced this morning that Viciedo has been placed on the 15-day disabled list while Blake Tekotte has been recalled from Triple-A Charlotte.
Oblique injuries can be particularly tricky, so it’s understandable that the White Sox didn’t want to push Viciedo too soon. There’s a chance that he could be ready to return when he’s first eligible, but considering what we have seen with these type of injuries in the past, that’s hardly a given.
Viciedo, 24, is hitting .229 (11-for-48) with two home runs, three doubles and five RBI in 13 games this season. Jordan Danks and Tekotte figure to share playing time in left field during his absence.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)