Apr 20, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
Rays center fielder Desmond Jennings turned the rare 8-unassisted double play in the top of the third inning during today’s game against the Athletics. After Eric Sogard singled with one out, starter Jeremy Hellickson got Coco Crisp to fly out to center. Sogard misread Jennings’ ability to catch the ball, so he rounded second hard instead of retreating to first base. Jennings caught the ball on the run, and lightly jogged towards first base to get the second out to end the inning.
ESPN Stats & Info tweeted, via the Elias Sports Bureau, that Jennings’ 8-unassisted was the first since Mike Cameron accomplished the feat in 2003.
Click here to see a .gif of the play.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (84)