Desmond Jennings turns rare 8-unassisted double play

Apr 20, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT

Desmond Jennings AP

Rays center fielder Desmond Jennings turned the rare 8-unassisted double play in the top of the third inning during today’s game against the Athletics. After Eric Sogard singled with one out, starter Jeremy Hellickson got Coco Crisp to fly out to center. Sogard misread Jennings’ ability to catch the ball, so he rounded second hard instead of retreating to first base. Jennings caught the ball on the run, and lightly jogged towards first base to get the second out to end the inning.

ESPN Stats & Info tweeted, via the Elias Sports Bureau, that Jennings’ 8-unassisted was the first since Mike Cameron accomplished the feat in 2003.

Click here to see a .gif of the play.

1. dirtyharry1971 - Apr 20, 2013 at 11:47 PM

All i know is the bluejays are 7-11 and that just makes my day, oh there are people on here who want me banned because i talk about baseball and they suggest what im writing is hateful but its a baseball thread and im talkin baseball folks. the facts are the facts and the jays are a big big big disappointment and this will not change. Enjoy…H…..O…….P…

• bjbeliever - Apr 21, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Whats the name of the trophy given to the best team three weeks into the season?!? Take it easy buddy, couple more games left this year.

• cowboysoldiertx - Apr 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM

It is a baseball site and all but I think people just EXPECT you to talk about the event posted. I don’t go to a review about say Dead Man Down and talk about The Host. And remember there are still like 120ish games to play.

• xavier46 - Apr 21, 2013 at 9:46 AM

We’re 42 games into the season?

Wow, time flies.

• cowboysoldiertx - Apr 21, 2013 at 10:03 AM

LOl xavier46 your right. Not that far into the season, but that wasn’t my point. My point is its still early to call the Jays season over.

• paperlions - Apr 21, 2013 at 11:11 AM

I agree with you. The fact that the Jays are 7-11 does appear to be all that you know. Don’t worry, some day, you’ll learn something else. Then you’ll know 2 things; though, I am not optimistic about your ability to keep track of so much information.

• carpi2 - Apr 21, 2013 at 10:32 PM

This maybe the best reply I have ever seen. I applaud you!

2. hittfamily - Apr 20, 2013 at 11:53 PM

The Rays are heating up. 4 shutouts this year despite Price sucking. Longo Has reached base every game this year. He has 4 jacks in 6 games, and he is healthy. Zobrist is Zobrist. Joyce is heating up. Desmond is coming around. Kelly Johnson is hot. Wil Myers is 17 games closer to making his debut. Alex Cobb is killing it. Matt Moore is going to start the All Star game if he quits walking 5 guys per 9. Hellickson is money. Hernandez hasn’t looked bad. Jake McGee is still throwing 98 lefthanded. Rodney is …. well, best ERA ever.

This team went 2-8. Their offense was pitiful. If their offense is only “bad” this year, look out AL because their pitching is good enough to win with a bad offense.

3. hockeyflow33 - Apr 21, 2013 at 12:05 AM

If my baseball memory is correct, Tris Speaker used to do this routinely as an outfielder because of his speed

• Glenn - Apr 21, 2013 at 12:17 AM

You remember Tris Speaker playing? Are you Beelzebub? I can’t believe that this play was ever routine, but Speaker would be the one to make it so.

• hockeyflow33 - Apr 21, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Nah, like everyone else, I think I read every baseball biography growing up, (and I’m from Boston).

• shaggytoodle - Apr 21, 2013 at 3:43 AM

Is it true that Speaker fella was so fast, that he would hit a line drive up the middle, and it would hit him, while he was sliding into second?

• buddaley - Apr 21, 2013 at 7:24 AM

No. That was Cool Papa Bell. Satchel Paige said so. Satchel (or Buck O’Neil) also asserted that Bell could turn the light switch off in his room and be in bed before the lights went out.

• stataz - Apr 21, 2013 at 7:55 AM

Cool Papa Bell

• stataz - Apr 21, 2013 at 7:57 AM

at the 2:20 marker

4. tfbuckfutter - Apr 21, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Part of me wants to say he’s kind of a dick for showing up the base runner like that…..

But part of me is like “Yeah….he underestimated you….shove his face in it.”

5. jwbiii - Apr 21, 2013 at 1:17 AM

I did this once in high school. Runner on second, shoe string catch, looked up to see where he was. Half way between third and home. I wasn’t going to give my 2B man chance to muff a throw.

• bigleagues - Apr 21, 2013 at 11:32 AM

That, or you were hesitant to expose your Johnny Damon canon.
      ;-)

• ghostfishhunter - Apr 21, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I prefer my Johnny Damon talk to be non-canon. Nothing like pouring a nice red and having an in-depth discussion about his MVP seasons in San Francisco.

• bigleagues - Apr 21, 2013 at 12:35 PM

San Francisco?

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3020)