Apr 20, 2013, 8:28 PM EDT
We knew that the 5-11 Astros, with a -20 run differential, were bad — but not this bad. The 5-10 Indians, with a -21 run differential themselves, bashed Astros starter Phil Humber for eight runs while recording only one out in the first inning. Dallas Keuchel relieved Humber after ten batters and recorded the final two outs of the first inning without any further damage, but it was only the beginning.
The first inning went: fly out, single, single, RBI double, two-RBI double, walk, three-run home run, double, single, two-RBI double, ground out, ground out.
The Indians weren’t done, though. Keuchel returned to the hill for the second inning and received a beating himself as the Tribe posted a six spot.
The second inning went: single, walk, error, RBI single, strikeout, RBI single, RBI walk, RBI ground out, RBI single, RBI double, pop out.
To the Astros’ credit, their offense didn’t quit at the sight of a 14-run deficit, as they took three runs back in the bottom half of the second inning on an RBI ground out by Ronny Cendeno and a two-run home run by Brandon Barnes.
Carlos Santana immediately homered to lead off the third, so it looks like there’s no end in sight for the Indians’ offense.
Of the 2,430 regular season games played last year, a team scored 15 runs in 24 one of them (1%). In 2011, the feat occurred 34 times, and 32 times in 2010.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)