Apr 20, 2013, 8:28 PM EDT
We knew that the 5-11 Astros, with a -20 run differential, were bad — but not this bad. The 5-10 Indians, with a -21 run differential themselves, bashed Astros starter Phil Humber for eight runs while recording only one out in the first inning. Dallas Keuchel relieved Humber after ten batters and recorded the final two outs of the first inning without any further damage, but it was only the beginning.
The first inning went: fly out, single, single, RBI double, two-RBI double, walk, three-run home run, double, single, two-RBI double, ground out, ground out.
The Indians weren’t done, though. Keuchel returned to the hill for the second inning and received a beating himself as the Tribe posted a six spot.
The second inning went: single, walk, error, RBI single, strikeout, RBI single, RBI walk, RBI ground out, RBI single, RBI double, pop out.
To the Astros’ credit, their offense didn’t quit at the sight of a 14-run deficit, as they took three runs back in the bottom half of the second inning on an RBI ground out by Ronny Cendeno and a two-run home run by Brandon Barnes.
Carlos Santana immediately homered to lead off the third, so it looks like there’s no end in sight for the Indians’ offense.
Of the 2,430 regular season games played last year, a team scored 15 runs in 24 one of them (1%). In 2011, the feat occurred 34 times, and 32 times in 2010.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)