Apr 20, 2013, 7:45 PM EST
The Nationals placed third baseman Ryan Zimmerman on the disabled list with a sore left hamstring. In response, they have recalled prospect Anthony Rendon from Double-A Harrisburg, reports Adam Kilgore.
Zimmerman had been struggling at the plate, managing a paltry .670 OPS with just one home run. He also appeared to have issues throwing, perhaps related to the shoulder problems that bothered him last year and during spring training prior to the 2013 regular season getting under way.
In 65 plate appearances over 14 games in Double-A, Rendon posted a .962 OPS with two homers and an impressive 14-to-9 strikeout-to-walk ratio. The 22-year-old, who will start according to manager Davey Johnson, was ranked as the 19th-best prospect going into 2012 and the 30th-best heading into this season, according to Baseball America.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)