Apr 20, 2013, 7:45 PM EST
The Nationals placed third baseman Ryan Zimmerman on the disabled list with a sore left hamstring. In response, they have recalled prospect Anthony Rendon from Double-A Harrisburg, reports Adam Kilgore.
Zimmerman had been struggling at the plate, managing a paltry .670 OPS with just one home run. He also appeared to have issues throwing, perhaps related to the shoulder problems that bothered him last year and during spring training prior to the 2013 regular season getting under way.
In 65 plate appearances over 14 games in Double-A, Rendon posted a .962 OPS with two homers and an impressive 14-to-9 strikeout-to-walk ratio. The 22-year-old, who will start according to manager Davey Johnson, was ranked as the 19th-best prospect going into 2012 and the 30th-best heading into this season, according to Baseball America.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 18
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)