Apr 20, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
Paul Maholm entered tonight’s start against the Pirates with a 0.00 ERA and 20.1 consecutive scoreless innings over three starts. The lefty took his streak into the sixth inning until it was finally snapped on an Andrew McCutchen RBI double. Gaby Sanchez followed it up with a two-run home run to give the Pirates a 3-1 lead. After ending the inning with a double play, Maholm has a 1.03 ERA over his first four starts, a mark surpassed only by Matt Harvey among starters who have made their fourth start already.
ESPN Stats & Info tweeted earlier that Maholm was attempting to become the first pitcher in the modern era to open a season with four straight scoreless starts.
The Braves lost their second baseman during the game as well, as Dan Uggla exited the game with a left calf strain, per MLB.com’s Mark Bowman. Ramiro Pena replaced him and he should be expected to start as long as Uggla is on the shelf.
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 8
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 24
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 63
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 84
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)