Apr 20, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
Paul Maholm entered tonight’s start against the Pirates with a 0.00 ERA and 20.1 consecutive scoreless innings over three starts. The lefty took his streak into the sixth inning until it was finally snapped on an Andrew McCutchen RBI double. Gaby Sanchez followed it up with a two-run home run to give the Pirates a 3-1 lead. After ending the inning with a double play, Maholm has a 1.03 ERA over his first four starts, a mark surpassed only by Matt Harvey among starters who have made their fourth start already.
ESPN Stats & Info tweeted earlier that Maholm was attempting to become the first pitcher in the modern era to open a season with four straight scoreless starts.
The Braves lost their second baseman during the game as well, as Dan Uggla exited the game with a left calf strain, per MLB.com’s Mark Bowman. Ramiro Pena replaced him and he should be expected to start as long as Uggla is on the shelf.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)