Apr 20, 2013, 9:05 PM EDT
Paul Maholm entered tonight’s start against the Pirates with a 0.00 ERA and 20.1 consecutive scoreless innings over three starts. The lefty took his streak into the sixth inning until it was finally snapped on an Andrew McCutchen RBI double. Gaby Sanchez followed it up with a two-run home run to give the Pirates a 3-1 lead. After ending the inning with a double play, Maholm has a 1.03 ERA over his first four starts, a mark surpassed only by Matt Harvey among starters who have made their fourth start already.
ESPN Stats & Info tweeted earlier that Maholm was attempting to become the first pitcher in the modern era to open a season with four straight scoreless starts.
The Braves lost their second baseman during the game as well, as Dan Uggla exited the game with a left calf strain, per MLB.com’s Mark Bowman. Ramiro Pena replaced him and he should be expected to start as long as Uggla is on the shelf.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 17
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)