Apr 20, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
The Red Sox have promoted right-hander Allen Webster to pitch in the nightcap of tomorrow’s double-header against the Royals, reports Scott Lauber of the Boston Herald. Webster was acquired in last August’s megadeal with the Dodgers, which saw Adrian Gonzalez, Josh Beckett, Carl Crawford, and Nick Punto move to the West coast.
Webster is expected to be sent back to Triple-A Pawtucket immediately after his start, but it is still a praiseworthy promotion for the young hurler, who was rated the #49 overall prospect going into the 2013 season by Baseball America. In two starts spanning ten innings at Triple-A, he had a 0.90 ERA with 12 strikeouts and three walks.
Lauber points out that MLB’s rules allow teams to add a 26th player for double-headers, which means the Red Sox don’t need to make any other moves to make room for Webster’s one-day promotion.
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 4
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 18
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 8
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 33
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)