Apr 20, 2013, 9:04 AM EDT
Wells, Hafner, and Overbay all homered last night as the Yankees topped the Blue Jays 9-4 at Rogers Centre in Toronto. After dropping four out of their first five games, the Yankees have won eight out of their last 10.
Andy Pettitte was scratched from his last outing due to back spasms, but he was solid in his return to action last night, allowing three runs over 7 1/3 innings while striking out five and walking just one. The 40-year-old southpaw is 3-0 with a 2.01 ERA and 12/5 K/BB ratio in 22 1/3 innings over his first three starts this season. He has a 2.67 ERA in 15 starts since making his comeback last year.
Wells, Hafner, and Overbay have combined for 11 homers so far this season. While many thought the Yankees wouldn’t have enough thump following the departures of Nick Swisher and Russell Martin and the injuries to Curtis Granderson and Mark Teixeira, they currently lead the American League with 25 home runs. Only the Rockies and Braves have hit more.
Your Friday box scores:
Cardinals 2, Phillies 8 (game called in the seventh inning due to rain)
Royals/Red Sox – postponed
Twins/White Sox – postponed
Dodgers/Orioles – postponed
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)