Apr 20, 2013, 9:04 AM EDT
Wells, Hafner, and Overbay all homered last night as the Yankees topped the Blue Jays 9-4 at Rogers Centre in Toronto. After dropping four out of their first five games, the Yankees have won eight out of their last 10.
Andy Pettitte was scratched from his last outing due to back spasms, but he was solid in his return to action last night, allowing three runs over 7 1/3 innings while striking out five and walking just one. The 40-year-old southpaw is 3-0 with a 2.01 ERA and 12/5 K/BB ratio in 22 1/3 innings over his first three starts this season. He has a 2.67 ERA in 15 starts since making his comeback last year.
Wells, Hafner, and Overbay have combined for 11 homers so far this season. While many thought the Yankees wouldn’t have enough thump following the departures of Nick Swisher and Russell Martin and the injuries to Curtis Granderson and Mark Teixeira, they currently lead the American League with 25 home runs. Only the Rockies and Braves have hit more.
Your Friday box scores:
Cardinals 2, Phillies 8 (game called in the seventh inning due to rain)
Royals/Red Sox – postponed
Twins/White Sox – postponed
Dodgers/Orioles – postponed
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)