Settling the Score: Friday’s results

Apr 20, 2013, 9:04 AM EDT

Vernon Wells AP

Ho-hum. Just another day of Vernon Wells, Travis Hafner and Lyle Overbay doing the heavy lifting for the Yankees’ offense. Wait, what’s that?

Wells, Hafner, and Overbay all homered last night as the Yankees topped the Blue Jays 9-4 at Rogers Centre in Toronto. After dropping four out of their first five games, the Yankees have won eight out of their last 10.

Andy Pettitte was scratched from his last outing due to back spasms, but he was solid in his return to action last night, allowing three runs over 7 1/3 innings while striking out five and walking just one. The 40-year-old southpaw is 3-0 with a 2.01 ERA and 12/5 K/BB ratio in 22 1/3 innings over his first three starts this season. He has a 2.67 ERA in 15 starts since making his comeback last year.

Wells, Hafner, and Overbay have combined for 11 homers so far this season. While many thought the Yankees wouldn’t have enough thump following the departures of Nick Swisher and Russell Martin and the injuries to Curtis Granderson and Mark Teixeira, they currently lead the American League with 25 home runs. Only the Rockies and Braves have hit more.

Your Friday box scores:

Braves 0, Pirates 6

Cardinals 2, Phillies 8 (game called in the seventh inning due to rain)

Athletics 3, Rays 8

Marlins 2, Reds 1

Nationals 1, Mets 7

Mariners 0, Rangers 7

Cubs 4, Brewers 5

Indians 2, Astros 3

Diamondbacks 1, Rockies 3

Padres 2, Giants 3

Tigers 1, Angels 8

Royals/Red Sox – postponed

Twins/White Sox – postponed

Dodgers/Orioles – postponed

1. jarathen - Apr 20, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Angels win! Angels win!

Tommy Hanson’s performance isn’t repeatable (lots of walks and hits, lots of defensive gems that bailed him out), but the Angels’ offense kept plugging and finally broke through against that Detroit bullpen. And Luis “Lucho” Jiminez has been amazing. Also probably unsustainable, but for a fill-in guy, he’s been a tremendous part of getting that offense going.

I’m sure Craig’s feeling pretty good about sticking with the Yankees. Whatever’s in the water at the stadium, if it can resurrect the ghost of Vernon Wells, there’s nothing anyone else can do about it.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 20, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Unfortunately, Vernon always hit well in Toronto.

• dirtyharry1971 - Apr 20, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Every team is going to hit your chump pitching staff so id get used to it

• southofheaven81 - Apr 20, 2013 at 10:11 AM

The Yankees have looked great, but against teams that they SHOULD look great against (Cleveland, Arizona, the underperforming Toronto). They lost the series against Boston and Detroit. I’m cautiously optimistic, but when they beat up on a legitimate contender, I’ll have a lot more faith in this lineup.

• anxovies - Apr 20, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I believe it was John McGraw who devised the formula for winning in the major leagues. You win a healthy portion of your home games, beat the weaker teams wherever you find them and take your chances in the post season. It’s a long season and a win against the lesser teams counts exactly the same as a win against the front-runners.

• uyf1950 - Apr 20, 2013 at 11:36 AM

My friend Arizona was playing exceptionally well before the series with the Yankees. As for them losing to Red Sox keep in mind that was immediately after several of the newly acquired Yankees had just joined the team, the offense was still getting to know each other. As for the Detroit series I’d say taking out Verlander and the Tigers 7-0 in the final game of that series says volumes about the Yankees once their players had a couple of games under their belt.

• bigharold - Apr 20, 2013 at 12:30 PM

“The Yankees have looked great, but against teams that they SHOULD look great against…but when they beat up on a legitimate contender, I’ll have a lot more faith in this lineup.”

This “depleted” Yankee line up is doing better than expected to be sure but the key to the Yankees season still will be their pitching. While it’s still way too early to know exactly what to expect the rest of the season Yankee fans have to be encouraged because with all the injuries and set backs the Yankees were suppose to crater e.g. Doom Watch. And while they are beating teams they are suppose to that is one of the keys to a successful season.

“While many thought the Yankees wouldn’t have enough thump …they currently lead the American League with 25 home runs.”

I was pretty sure Well’s, in particular, was going to be a problem. Good thing I don’t make my living in a front office. I guess that Cashman guy knows a thing or two.

• historiophiliac - Apr 20, 2013 at 11:21 AM

The welcome for Torii Hunter by the Angels fans was very nice — very warm, even chanting his name late in the game. Nicely done.

The game itself was painful though. Too many LOB. Too many LOB!!!! We had good chances and RISP (RISP’s? R’sISP?) but never could bring them in (until the end to avoid a skunking). The Angels played good defense. Surprisingly, with all the great hitters in this game, it wasn’t littered with HR’s. I’m hoping to be less frustrated today.

• historiophiliac - Apr 20, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Oh, and it’s becoming positively difficult to find teams without any Oklahoma goodness lately — so many friends among my enemies.

• jarathen - Apr 20, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Love how the Angels faithful treated Torii Hunter. He occasionally shoves his foot down his throat, but he’s a genuine guy, a good leader, and, perhaps most rare of all, a player who has aged remarkably well. I wish him all the best and could see tipping my hat to a Detroit World Series if Torii gets to be part of it.

2. schmedley69 - Apr 20, 2013 at 9:50 AM

Very encouraging start for Roy Halladay. Looks like he might still have some gas left in the tank. I’m sure that it a disappointment to all of the people on here who have already written his epitaph,

• bleedgreen - Apr 20, 2013 at 4:37 PM

I haven’t seen one comment/article from Craig about Doc’s last 2 starts after he was ALL OVER it with the bad ST and first 2 starts. Both of the ‘positive’ articles have come from D.J. Short and Bill Baer. Granted Short also wrote one of the questioning articles a few weeks back, but there has been nary a ‘hmm, maybe I was wrong’ from Craig.

3. spudchukar - Apr 20, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Ty Wigginton, Why? Mike Matheny please explain to me the rational behind benching both Molina and Freese in the same game? Why not just wave the white flag, and not show up. And why is it so imperative that Wigginton get at bats? So he can prove his ineptitude? He is a sub, is always going to be a sub, and should only be played as a last resort. Freese certainly doesn’t need rest, seeing how he spent the early season on the DL.

Yes, Molina is long overdue for a break. But wouldn’t that opportunity come when facing someone like Sanchez, a lefty that perhaps Cruz might just hit? And if not him the likelihood that his surrounding teammates would get to him is favorable?

One of the reasons given for the Wigginton acquisition, was his ability to play multiple positions. True, but the damning caveat is that he plays them all poorly. He has virtually no range, and cannot throw. Normally, those attributes are vital for an infielder, but apparently not for Ty.

Let me continue. Carpenter in the lead-off spot? Really? Yes, he has good OBP numbers, but then the rest of the order is out of whack. Want some advice? Put Kozma in the lead-off spot. He has a good eye, works the count, is fast, and deserves some help. Hitting eighth is hard, particularly when he continues to bat with no one on base. If Jay needs demotion, to “sort things out”, let him do it in the eighth spot, where his swing at everything approach, might just be beneficial as he is being pitched around.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 20, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Why don’t you tell us how you really feel.

4. Old Gator - Apr 20, 2013 at 9:59 AM

The Feesh really wore the sprockets and keys out on my trusty Babbage engine this morning. The Reds fell down on the job; Kevin Slowey has been terrific so far so there’s no shame in barely denting him, but they let the Feesh boolpen pin them until Justin Ruggiano dinged in the ninth. It’s bad enough when your ace peetcher is a Pleistocene brain stem on a chassis, but when you get beaten by the Feesh boolpen, well, that’s just inexcusable. You might as well be confined to a diet of Gold Star Chili and Glier’s goetta while the Feesh dine at Camp Washington’s and breakfast on fresh goetta from Findlay’s Market.

When my Babbage engine had done its work, I ran the little strip of paper with all the holes in it past my Royal McBee and got a season w/l projection of 4-158.

5. chumthumper - Apr 20, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Geez, I’m old. I caught the Babbage and “little strip paper with all the holes in it” reference. I bet OG knows what a zone punch is too.

• Old Gator - Apr 20, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Of course I do. My dad was a Golden Gloves boxer.

• spudchukar - Apr 20, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I still miss the multiple click sounds of the adding machine, after tugging (one armed bandit style) on the handle.

• Old Gator - Apr 20, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I miss the writhing and moaning of…of…well, let’s put it this way. There are sounds I miss a lot more than the sounds of an adding machine.

6. kiwicricket - Apr 20, 2013 at 10:40 AM

After bringing in Kevin Gregg (yes, THAT Kevin Gregg) into a 1 run game, who promptly oozes a hit and a walk in his 0.0 innings pitched, the game ends in the 9th with the base-runner getting caught trying to steal second base.

It’s sad, it’s like the Cubs deliberately try to suck.

• spudchukar - Apr 20, 2013 at 10:52 AM

Some things just come naturally.

• Old Gator - Apr 20, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Don’t worry. Once Wrigley has been remodeled, Kevin Gregg will once again be the top of the line closer he used to be. Tom Rickettsiae told me so.

7. APBA Guy - Apr 20, 2013 at 10:57 AM

Not sure what’s up with Mr. Anderson’s injury, but I am sure his pitches were up. Have been for two starts. And his velo is down. He was 95+ in his first 2 years. Now he’s 91-92, league average. He’s the cure for what ailed the Rays. Hopefully it really is his ankle, and not something more.

8. metroplexfrog - Apr 20, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Ty was very good last night against his nemesis the Mariners. The Astros even won. Choo is doing well for Cincy.

• Old Gator - Apr 20, 2013 at 6:32 PM