Apr 21, 2013, 10:30 AM EDT
Chad Billingsley was scheduled to start for the Dodgers in Sunday afternoon’s series finale at Camden Yards. But that’s not going to happen.
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Billingsley has been placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 16, with discomfort in his pitching elbow. Stephen Fife has been recalled from Triple-A Albuquerque in a corresponding roster move and will make the start against Baltimore.
Billingsley opted for platelet-rich plasma treatment over Tommy John surgery when he was diagnosed last year with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament. Now he’ll probably be forced to reconsider.
The Dodgers opened the season with a surplus of starting pitching. But that surplus is gone.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 7
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 81
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 59
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (81)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)