Apr 21, 2013, 10:30 AM EST
Chad Billingsley was scheduled to start for the Dodgers in Sunday afternoon’s series finale at Camden Yards. But that’s not going to happen.
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times reports that Billingsley has been placed on the 15-day disabled list, retroactive to April 16, with discomfort in his pitching elbow. Stephen Fife has been recalled from Triple-A Albuquerque in a corresponding roster move and will make the start against Baltimore.
Billingsley opted for platelet-rich plasma treatment over Tommy John surgery when he was diagnosed last year with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament. Now he’ll probably be forced to reconsider.
The Dodgers opened the season with a surplus of starting pitching. But that surplus is gone.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 6
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)