Apr 21, 2013, 4:32 PM EDT
Paul Sullivan of the Chicago Tribune has the story:
It doesn’t seem possible considering their status as part of the core of the rebuild, not to mention the seven-year contract extension Castro received last year.
But before Sunday’s finale against Milwaukee, manager Dale Sveum, who lost his voice shouting at ump Chris Guccione on Friday, hinted it was indeed possible.
“If people keep playing like that, you have to find options,” Sveum told reporters on Sunday afternoon. “Give people playing time at Triple-A to figure this stuff out. … The bottom line is you have to perform. Whether you need more development or you decide all those kind of things. There’s still that accountability. … Many, many people throughout the history of the game (have been demoted back to the minor leagues).”
Castro, 23, entered play Sunday batting .304 with an .802 OPS, but he has struggled defensively at shortstop. Rizzo, who’s also 23, is hitting .190 with a .299 on-base percentage through 67 plate appearances.
All that said, this feels like more of an attempt at a wake up call by Sveum than any real threat.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 34
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 42
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)