David Ortiz still “not comfortable” at the plate

Apr 21, 2013, 9:10 PM EDT

Salvador Perez, David Ortiz AP

David Ortiz has five hits in eight at-bats since returning from an Achilles injury that abruptly shortened his 2012 season. And yet, the Red Sox DH says he still doesn’t feel comfortable at the plate.

Via WEEI’s Annie Maroon:

“I’m battling right now,” Ortiz, who went 3-for-4 with a double and an RBI in the afternoon game against the Royals, said. “I wasn’t facing pitching for eight months, and I’m not going to lie to you, I don’t feel comfortable yet. I’ve been lucky. I’ve been hitting where nobody’s at, but I don’t feel yet the way I like to feel, you know what I’m saying?”

Ryan Howard, another lefty slugger who suffered an Achilles injury, has hit just 15 home runs in 358 plate appearances since returning in July 2012. Ortiz has hit 20 or more home runs in each season dating back to 2002, so it will be interesting to see if he can recapture his power.

1. mudhead123 - Apr 21, 2013 at 9:33 PM

He needs his bitamins

2. proudlycanadian - Apr 21, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Ortiz was rested in the second game of today’s double header. No surprise given that he hasn’t played much.

I do want to make a comment about John Farrell because I have been asked about his ability as a manager while in Toronto. We simply do not know how good a Manager he will become. While in Toronto, he admitted that he could have done a better job handling the bullpen.

I was following the second game of tonight’s game and do question Farrell’s use of the Boston bullpen. After the rookie who was called up to start the game pitched 6 good innings, Farrell used his best 3 relief pitchers for an inning each. Those 3 guys are quite good. In the 10th inning he had to use an inferior pitcher (Miller) who gave up the winning run. K. C. still had their closer available to finish the bottom of the 10th. I think that if Farrell had used the pen a little more effectively, Boston could have won that game. Just one game out of 162; but, from my perspective, Farrell has room to improve as a manager.

For those Sox fans who will challenge me about Toronto’s record, I admit that the starting pitching in Toronto has to improve; however, Gibbons is managing the bullpen much more effectively than Farrell did.

• cba456 - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:46 AM

Farrell use his two of his ‘very good’ relievers to protect a lead, and Uehara failed. He then used his best remaining pitcher in a high leverage situation, and he held. That’s the smart play when you are tied at home. Unfortunately, the offense couldn’t score in the 9th. It was the end of a doubleheader, and they were using their 6th reliever of the day. I have absolutely no problem with the way he used the bullpen.

3. tfbuckfutter - Apr 21, 2013 at 11:22 PM

You know what I’m not comfortable with?

Losing a double header to the goddamn Royals.

Even in a rebuilding year that is unacceptable.

Fix the goddamn bullpen. It’s pathetic.

• 18thstreet - Apr 22, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Did you watch the games? I watched on Saturday, the (Red Sox) win. Here’s my take: the Royals are good.

And you’re an idiot.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 22, 2013 at 8:06 AM

First, the Royals are not good because they are incapable of being good.

However, you’re right about the Sox bullpen. It is better than I realized now that Hanrahan is out.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 22, 2013 at 8:26 AM

Think WWJD? Would he call someone an idiot? I dunno. Maybe. They did nail him to a cross and let him hang there. That would piss me off. Okay, nevermind. Carry on.

• 18thstreet - Apr 22, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Dear the-rest-of-America:

You have my permission to hate Red Sox fans again. After reading TFBuck, I know I do.

Sincerely,
        Another Red Sox fan

• 18thstreet - Apr 22, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Here on earth, here’s the Red Sox’ bullpen:

It’s pretty good, no? (Answer: yes, it’s pretty good.) They’re overusing Andrew Miller, but that’s because Breslow and Morales are on the disabled list.

4. aceshigh11 - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:30 AM

It’s hardly time to start panicking. Ortiz is hitting great so far…he’ll get his power stroke back.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 22, 2013 at 9:39 AM

A trip or two to the Dominican for some milkshakes and he’ll be knocking out 52 again in no time!

• aceshigh11 - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:58 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah…beat that dead horse some more. I think I saw a hoof twitch.

Three legends off to Cooperstown