Apr 21, 2013, 7:45 PM EDT
Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman is expected to rejoin the team tomorrow after a stint on the disabled list with a strained right oblique. In Freeman’s absence, Chris Johnson — acquired with Justin Upton from Arizona — has been getting the lion’s share of the playing time at first base and has impressed offensively. Johnson is now hitting .407 and has been the Braves’ most reliable hitter this side of Justin Upton.
The Braves had been using Johnson in a platoon with the left-handed Juan Francisco, but manager Fredi Gonzalez has been enamored with Johnson’s hitting enough to hand him the everyday job now that Freeman is taking back his position at first base.
When Freeman returns to first base, Gonzalez is expected to give Johnson the every-day role at third base, instead of platooning with Juan Francisco.
Gonzalez hinted at it on Saturday and by Sunday it sounded like a foregone conclusion.
“Guy is leading the league in hitting, you know?” Gonzalez said. “We’re not exactly hitting on all cylinders, so…”
Freeman was hitting .412 with a home run in 19 plate appearances before being sidelined with the injury.
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 20
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 15
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 76
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 52
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (280)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (76)