Apr 21, 2013, 7:45 PM EST
Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman is expected to rejoin the team tomorrow after a stint on the disabled list with a strained right oblique. In Freeman’s absence, Chris Johnson — acquired with Justin Upton from Arizona — has been getting the lion’s share of the playing time at first base and has impressed offensively. Johnson is now hitting .407 and has been the Braves’ most reliable hitter this side of Justin Upton.
The Braves had been using Johnson in a platoon with the left-handed Juan Francisco, but manager Fredi Gonzalez has been enamored with Johnson’s hitting enough to hand him the everyday job now that Freeman is taking back his position at first base.
When Freeman returns to first base, Gonzalez is expected to give Johnson the every-day role at third base, instead of platooning with Juan Francisco.
Gonzalez hinted at it on Saturday and by Sunday it sounded like a foregone conclusion.
“Guy is leading the league in hitting, you know?” Gonzalez said. “We’re not exactly hitting on all cylinders, so…”
Freeman was hitting .412 with a home run in 19 plate appearances before being sidelined with the injury.
Jan 31, 2015, 8:56 AM EST
Buxton repeats as MLB.com’s top prospect despite an injury-plagued 2014.
Jan 30, 2015, 10:50 PM EST
Neal Cotts battled numerous injuries and nearly called it quits before the Rangers signed him to a minor league deal in 2012.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:40 PM EST
Joe Kelly has some bold words for non-believers.
Jan 30, 2015, 8:30 PM EST
Yasiel Puig meant it in a good way!
Jan 30, 2015, 7:20 PM EST
The Rockies addressed their depth on Friday, signing reliever Rafael Betancourt and utility infielder Omar Quintanilla to minor league deals.
Jan 30, 2015, 6:10 PM EST
The Red Sox are willing to trade reliever Edward Mujica, according to a report.
Jan 30, 2015, 5:11 PM EST
This is gonna turn some heads.
Jan 30, 2015, 4:55 PM EST
MLB has been suspending guys by the truckload lately.
Jan 30, 2015, 4:26 PM EST
He hit .293 with 21 homers and a .930 OPS in 102 games last season, topping 200 plate appearances for the first time at age 31.
Jan 30, 2015, 4:10 PM EST
A couple of pitchers who don’t profile well in a hitters’ environment for a couple of catchers who have shown a little at the plate. Advantage: Braves.
Jan 30, 2015, 3:49 PM EST
Ogando posted a 3.12 ERA in 381 innings from 2010-2013.
Jan 30, 2015, 3:07 PM EST
The lack of a DH and the health of Miguel Cabrera are the determining factors.
Jan 30, 2015, 1:04 PM EST
Baker has struggled to regain his form after missing all of 2012 following Tommy John elbow surgery.
Jan 30, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
And he’s not selling jeans here.
Jan 30, 2015, 12:19 PM EST
He’s back on the open market.
Jan 30, 2015, 11:21 AM EST
“Operation Foul Ball” was actually a thing.
Jan 30, 2015, 10:49 AM EST
Paulino was once a young power with lots of upside, but injuries have repeatedly derailed his career.
Jan 30, 2015, 10:20 AM EST
LaHair looks destined to go down as one of the least successful All-Stars of all time.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:57 AM EST
He’s entering the final year of his contract.
Jan 30, 2015, 9:18 AM EST
Must-click material from Jorge Arangure of Vice Sports
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 0
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 76
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (76)