Apr 21, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
The Nationals trailed the Mets 2-0 entering the top of the eighth inning in today’s series finale in Queens. They had a rally brewing against Mets reliever Scott Rice, with runners on first and second thanks to a Steve Lombardozzi single and a Denard Span walk. Werth, 1-for-3 on the day, strode to the plate and did what he normally does: work the count. During the 2012 season, only 12 players saw more than Werth’s average 4.11 pitches per plate appearance. Between 2009-12, only 14 players (min. 1,500 plate appearances) have walked at a higher rate than Werth’s 12.5 percent.
Werth clearly knows what he’s doing at the plate. And when you’re facing a 31-year-old career Minor Leaguer demonstrating a lack of control, you always take. Even if you know he’s going to pump a get-me-over fastball over the heart of the plate, you take. Werth swung, grounding into a rally-killing 6-4-3 double play.
After the game, Werth called that swing “one of the dumber things I’ve done on the field in a while”, per the Washington Post’s Adam Kilgore.
“I was caught up in the moment,” Werth said. “Looking back, I was trying to do too much. I was trying to win the game right there. That’s it, really. We can sit here and talk about the situation. I was just trying to do too much. The situation got the best of me. That’s probably one of the dumber things I’ve done on the field in a while. Look no further than right here. We had a chance to win the game. I feel like I pretty much blew it.”
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 9
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 79
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 38
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 90
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 19
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)