Apr 21, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT
The Nationals trailed the Mets 2-0 entering the top of the eighth inning in today’s series finale in Queens. They had a rally brewing against Mets reliever Scott Rice, with runners on first and second thanks to a Steve Lombardozzi single and a Denard Span walk. Werth, 1-for-3 on the day, strode to the plate and did what he normally does: work the count. During the 2012 season, only 12 players saw more than Werth’s average 4.11 pitches per plate appearance. Between 2009-12, only 14 players (min. 1,500 plate appearances) have walked at a higher rate than Werth’s 12.5 percent.
Werth clearly knows what he’s doing at the plate. And when you’re facing a 31-year-old career Minor Leaguer demonstrating a lack of control, you always take. Even if you know he’s going to pump a get-me-over fastball over the heart of the plate, you take. Werth swung, grounding into a rally-killing 6-4-3 double play.
After the game, Werth called that swing “one of the dumber things I’ve done on the field in a while”, per the Washington Post’s Adam Kilgore.
“I was caught up in the moment,” Werth said. “Looking back, I was trying to do too much. I was trying to win the game right there. That’s it, really. We can sit here and talk about the situation. I was just trying to do too much. The situation got the best of me. That’s probably one of the dumber things I’ve done on the field in a while. Look no further than right here. We had a chance to win the game. I feel like I pretty much blew it.”
- Blue Jays manager John Gibbons will return in 2015 3
- HBT Daily: Why did Frank Wren get the axe? 2
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 57
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (110)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (87)