Jayson Werth: Swinging 3-0 “one of the dumber things I’ve done”

Apr 21, 2013, 11:45 PM EDT

Washington Nationals v New York Mets Getty Images

The Nationals trailed the Mets 2-0 entering the top of the eighth inning in today’s series finale in Queens. They had a rally brewing against Mets reliever Scott Rice, with runners on first and second thanks to a Steve Lombardozzi single and a Denard Span walk. Werth, 1-for-3 on the day, strode to the plate and did what he normally does: work the count. During the 2012 season, only 12 players saw more than Werth’s average 4.11 pitches per plate appearance. Between 2009-12, only 14 players (min. 1,500 plate appearances) have walked at a higher rate than Werth’s 12.5 percent.

Werth clearly knows what he’s doing at the plate. And when you’re facing a 31-year-old career Minor Leaguer demonstrating a lack of control, you always take. Even if you know he’s going to pump a get-me-over fastball over the heart of the plate, you take. Werth swung, grounding into a rally-killing 6-4-3 double play.

After the game, Werth called that swing “one of the dumber things I’ve done on the field in a while”, per the Washington Post’s Adam Kilgore.

“I was caught up in the moment,” Werth said. “Looking back, I was trying to do too much. I was trying to win the game right there. That’s it, really. We can sit here and talk about the situation. I was just trying to do too much. The situation got the best of me. That’s probably one of the dumber things I’ve done on the field in a while. Look no further than right here. We had a chance to win the game. I feel like I pretty much blew it.”

1. randygnyc - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Werth has a habit of making a fool out of himself on the field. His fatal error in my eyes when he violently swore at the fan in front of the mans young child. He lost my respect and I only wish him complete failure at everything baseball related because of it.

• vallewho - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:50 AM

Oh the children…what did the fan/man do?

• xmatt0926x - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:05 AM

I assume Randy is talking about when Werth went to catch a foul ball while with the Phillies. The ball was clearly in the stands but Werth was still able to reach for it while the fan also went for it. Needless to say Werth didn’t make the catch and was very agitated. He swore at the guy with the guys kid standing right next to him. If I remember correctly the fan said he wasn’t even trying to catch the ball as much as knock it away so it wouldn’t hit his child. Werth gave a insincere apology after the game. I watched him and his interviews during his Phillies years and he always struck me as being somewhat cold towards fans.

• fanofevilempire - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:45 AM

Jason should have cried when he apologized, everyone would have forgiven him.

The important thing is he didn’t spit on the kid.

• kevinleaptrot - Apr 22, 2013 at 9:32 AM

xmatt0926x, my youngest son and I met Jayson Werth a little over a week ago at our local little league fields (Werth’s son plays little league and he was there to see his boy play). Werth was anything but cold towards me and my son. Very friendly and outgoing, candid in his assessment of the Nats at this point in time, and was very nice to my 7 year old son, giving him an autograph and asking my son for a low five at great risk to himself due to my son’s exuberance. Werth also came by that morning and threw out the ceremonial first pitch for our opening day ceremonies. Great guy. Glad he’s on our team and happy that he’s part of our community as well.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 22, 2013 at 9:42 AM

@ Kevin – that was how Phillies fans felt about him as well for 4 years.

I am not calling the guy the Devil by any stretch, but he is a cool customer (that is not necessarily bad) – who like every pro is capable of being “on” in meet and greet situations. But if the day comes (if the day comes) he drops an F Bomb not once but twice at a Nats fan, then pointedly refuses to apologize the next day when tempers cool (Phillies won the game when he went all potty mouth) – trust me, you are going to look at the guy and feel differently.

And if you are going to say “He will never do that to a fan”……well, I adamantly would have said the same thing once upon a time

• skeleteeth - Apr 22, 2013 at 7:51 AM

This tragedy could have been avoided if only that parent had been allowed to bring a firearm to the ballpark.

• skids003 - Apr 22, 2013 at 10:44 AM

What a stupid comment.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:01 AM

That is an incredibly stupid comment. Everyone knows Jason Werth’s beard can deflect bullets.

• kollin7 - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Winner.

2. gettingpwned - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:16 AM

Mex killed him for swinging at that pitch during the Mets broadcast too. I believe he called it “a gift.”

• dondada10 - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:24 AM

He called the end result a gift, but as soon as Werth swung Hernandez assumed Davey Johnson had given the hit sign.

Judging on Werth’s reaction, Mex was wrong. But he was convinced at the time and implied that Davey would tell guys to swing 3-0 all the time back when he played for him.

3. fukpittsburgh - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:29 AM

Jayson Werth: Prime example of why Scott Boras is the Devil.

• fanofevilempire - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:46 AM

will Jay Z be d a devil when Cano signs for a gazillion?

4. hittfamily - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:48 AM

I’ll tell what NOT one of the dumber things he’s ever done was: Sign that dotted line and fleece the Nats out of $126,000,000.00

• fanofevilempire - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:43 AM

he should return all the money, it’s the right thing to do.

• 18thstreet - Apr 22, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Poor Nationals.

That’s how contracts work, right? The player gets to name whatever price he wants, and the owners are forced to pay it.

• deadeyedesign23 - Apr 22, 2013 at 8:45 AM

It’s a sin to let a fool keep his money and Ted Lerner was a fool.

5. buddysguys - Apr 22, 2013 at 7:34 AM

signing werth is one of the dumbest things the nats have done

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 22, 2013 at 8:16 AM

That implies Jayson is Werth nothing. That’s not quite true. The error was not to sign him but to outbid themselves outrageously. No team was willing to go more than 4 years. The Nats could have still offered 18 MM at 4 years (add in option year with some DL or PA requirements) and that would have been better than anything on the open market.

6. runteddyrun - Apr 22, 2013 at 10:59 AM

It was stupid. He realizes it. Time to put it behind him and focus on today. This team has not played well this year, but they are still over .500. Hopefully a lose as ugly as this will be a wake up call.

7. bolweevils2 - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I don’t really think it was that bad. Sure, it looks terrible because of the way it turned out. But Werth normally kills lefties, and he’s facing a lefty who is sure to throw a “get me over” fastball in that situation. Maybe Werth would hit .400 with a .800 slugging percentage in that situation for all we know. Does that fact it didn’t work automatically make it a bad play?

• chad10 - Apr 22, 2013 at 4:59 PM

I guess it’s a matter of opinion. When it went to 3-0, my thought was, Bryce Harper on deck, no outs, three cripples coming up because no way Rice wants to face Bryce with the bases loaded and no outs. Take the first one. If it’s 3-1, look for just the right pitch in just the right spot, and if you don’t get it exactly, take the second one. At worst it’s 3-2 and he still has to throw a strike if not a cripple. No matter what, though, get it to the outfield. If you pop it up, it’s only one out. If you strike out, it’s only one out. The only thing that you can do wrong is roll over a pitch on the outside half of the plate. That’s a 6-4-3 DP almost every time.

8. albertmn - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I have said it numerous times and will say it again, but the Werth signing was a good signing by the Nats. Werth isn’t a Hall of Famer, but he is a solid player. His contract may be a slight overpay, but not as bad as most want to make it out to be. But, what the Werth signing did was help open up other players’ eyes to consider the Nats as a possible landing spot. The signing showed they were willing to spend money and committed to winning. In my opinion, the Werth signing was the beginning to their current run of success. If that is the case, he is worth every dollar of the contract he signed.

9. girlsknowsportstoo - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:53 PM

The Nats have home grown players or players that were traded for. They didn’t get any high priced FA because of Werth. What they got was his cocky attitude…with little history of success–just like the man himself.

Bo Porter just first casualty around MLB