Apr 21, 2013, 11:45 PM EST
The Nationals trailed the Mets 2-0 entering the top of the eighth inning in today’s series finale in Queens. They had a rally brewing against Mets reliever Scott Rice, with runners on first and second thanks to a Steve Lombardozzi single and a Denard Span walk. Werth, 1-for-3 on the day, strode to the plate and did what he normally does: work the count. During the 2012 season, only 12 players saw more than Werth’s average 4.11 pitches per plate appearance. Between 2009-12, only 14 players (min. 1,500 plate appearances) have walked at a higher rate than Werth’s 12.5 percent.
Werth clearly knows what he’s doing at the plate. And when you’re facing a 31-year-old career Minor Leaguer demonstrating a lack of control, you always take. Even if you know he’s going to pump a get-me-over fastball over the heart of the plate, you take. Werth swung, grounding into a rally-killing 6-4-3 double play.
After the game, Werth called that swing “one of the dumber things I’ve done on the field in a while”, per the Washington Post’s Adam Kilgore.
“I was caught up in the moment,” Werth said. “Looking back, I was trying to do too much. I was trying to win the game right there. That’s it, really. We can sit here and talk about the situation. I was just trying to do too much. The situation got the best of me. That’s probably one of the dumber things I’ve done on the field in a while. Look no further than right here. We had a chance to win the game. I feel like I pretty much blew it.”
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 72
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 34
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 29
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 24
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)