Apr 21, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
Jhoulys Chacin has posted a promising 1.46 ERA, 0.89 WHIP and 16/6 K/BB ratio in 24 2/3 innings this season. But the righty’s hot start is now on hold.
According to beat writer Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post, Chacin was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Sunday afternoon with a lower back strain that he suffered in the seventh inning of his outing Friday night against the Diamondbacks.
The Rockies are optimistic that Chacin will only need to miss two turns in the rotation. Those starts are expected to go to either Tyler Chatwood or Drew Pomeranz. Rob Scahill was called up from Triple-A Colorado Springs on Sunday to take Chacin’s spot on the 25-man roster, but he will work out of the bullpen as a long reliever.
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 7
- Jean Segura leaves Brewers following the death of his nine-month-old son 47
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 32
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 63
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 50
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 80
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 114
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)