Apr 21, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Jhoulys Chacin has posted a promising 1.46 ERA, 0.89 WHIP and 16/6 K/BB ratio in 24 2/3 innings this season. But the righty’s hot start is now on hold.
According to beat writer Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post, Chacin was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Sunday afternoon with a lower back strain that he suffered in the seventh inning of his outing Friday night against the Diamondbacks.
The Rockies are optimistic that Chacin will only need to miss two turns in the rotation. Those starts are expected to go to either Tyler Chatwood or Drew Pomeranz. Rob Scahill was called up from Triple-A Colorado Springs on Sunday to take Chacin’s spot on the 25-man roster, but he will work out of the bullpen as a long reliever.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27