Apr 21, 2013, 5:20 PM EDT
Jhoulys Chacin has posted a promising 1.46 ERA, 0.89 WHIP and 16/6 K/BB ratio in 24 2/3 innings this season. But the righty’s hot start is now on hold.
According to beat writer Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post, Chacin was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Sunday afternoon with a lower back strain that he suffered in the seventh inning of his outing Friday night against the Diamondbacks.
The Rockies are optimistic that Chacin will only need to miss two turns in the rotation. Those starts are expected to go to either Tyler Chatwood or Drew Pomeranz. Rob Scahill was called up from Triple-A Colorado Springs on Sunday to take Chacin’s spot on the 25-man roster, but he will work out of the bullpen as a long reliever.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)