Apr 21, 2013, 5:20 PM EST
Jhoulys Chacin has posted a promising 1.46 ERA, 0.89 WHIP and 16/6 K/BB ratio in 24 2/3 innings this season. But the righty’s hot start is now on hold.
According to beat writer Patrick Saunders of the Denver Post, Chacin was placed on the 15-day disabled list on Sunday afternoon with a lower back strain that he suffered in the seventh inning of his outing Friday night against the Diamondbacks.
The Rockies are optimistic that Chacin will only need to miss two turns in the rotation. Those starts are expected to go to either Tyler Chatwood or Drew Pomeranz. Rob Scahill was called up from Triple-A Colorado Springs on Sunday to take Chacin’s spot on the 25-man roster, but he will work out of the bullpen as a long reliever.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 42
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 46
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)