John Lackey is aiming to join the Red Sox on April 27

Apr 21, 2013, 2:31 PM EDT

lackey getty Getty Images

Here is Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald:

John Lackey will make a rehab start with Portland (AA) tomorrow — four innings, about 65 pitches — that could, barring a setback, be the one and only rehab start he would need before being re-activated from the DL with his right biceps strain. He would be on track to pitch for the Red Sox next Saturday, April 27, against Houston.

Lackey suffered that right biceps strain in his first start of the 2013 regular season. It initially looked like a pretty serious injury, but the 34-year-old may only wind up missing a little more than three weeks.

Lackey is owed a $15.25 million salary this year and another $15.25 million in 2014. He has a rough 5.24 ERA, 1.50 WHIP and 6.5 K/9 in 379 1/3 innings since signing an $82.5 million deal with Boston.

1. proudlycanadian - Apr 21, 2013 at 3:51 PM

One rehab start is not many; however, it might be enough to get him ready to face Houston. I am sure that Houston will try to the best of their ability to greet his return warmly.

• xavier46 - Apr 21, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Tell me, troll, when are the Blue Jays “aiming” to get above .500 (or out of last place)?

• proudlycanadian - Apr 21, 2013 at 4:44 PM

Alas, you seem to be such a sensitive soul with no sense of humor.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 21, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I realize that some Red Sox fans think that only Red Sox fans are allowed to say anything negative about their team. I also realize that when Red Sox fans turn negative on their team, they can get very vicious. Still, the silly comment by xavier46 is evidence of a very immature person no matter how old that individual actually is. .

• xavier46 - Apr 21, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Not so much.

All winter you (along with many others) touted the major moves the Jays made. Granted, you never stated that they were handed the WS Trophy or anything. Everyone was stoked that Farrell was shipped away and replaced by Gibbons, AA made major moves, etc. Now that the Jays have gotten off the a rough start (the season is long and they may still end up on top) it seems that you have resorted to trolling Red Sox articles. I don’t come to rip on any other team/fan base when any of my favorite teams are down and out, I didn’t do it with the Sox last year, I just don’t get enjoyment out of it.

You have stated that you dislike RS Manaagement, as do A LOT of Boston fans. I’m not sure exactly where your disdain comes from, perhaps you can enlighten me? I mean Boston did take that train wreck Farrell off your hands!

My end point is that I think you are better than it. I mean that truthfully. Long before I ever started posting here, I would read your posts and you are quite knowledgeable about baseball, not only about your favorite team, but about a lot of teams. I don’t understand why you resort to being a dick. I’m sure that if the Jays were in first place and running away with things, you wouldn’t give a crap about Boston. From the outside, it appears you are more concerned by the success of the “patchwork” and “overpaid regulars” from Boston than you are with the disappointing start by the Jays.

You’re more intelligent than to troll Red Sox articles.

Rant over.

• uyf1950 - Apr 21, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Proudly my friend, I’ve said it on more then one occasion Red Sox fans are a sensitive bunch. They do tend to get their panties in a twist at even the slightest negative comment by non Red Sox fans.

• xavier46 - Apr 21, 2013 at 8:45 PM

During his time in Boston, Lackey has a 5.24 ERA.

Toronto’s 2013 starters have 5.55 ERA.

It seems Mr. Lackey would be an improvement to your team if he were to be on your staff.

With a 6.91 ERA and $13,750,000 belonging to Josh Johnson, Toronto is getting every bit the bang for the buck that Boston has got from Lackey.

• theskinsman - Apr 21, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I think Lackey will be better than he has been this season. He needs to be a solid 4th rotation SP, nothing more.
      Given Proudly’s consistent predictions thus far,I’m hoping Lackey starts out as badly as rusty,old Ortiz has since he came back.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 21, 2013 at 8:58 PM

He might earn his salary this year. You never know for sure. Both Lester and Buchholz are off to great starts to the season.

2. mudhead123 - Apr 21, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Can’t wait. He is a guaranteed loss

3. bigwii - Apr 21, 2013 at 4:36 PM

Speaking for Red Sox fans we wouldn’t mind if he took his time coming back.

• proudlycanadian - Apr 21, 2013 at 4:47 PM

As a member of the Red Sox, he has not earned the money that Boston has paid him.

4. ranoversquarells - Apr 21, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Please keep him away, last thing we need is that jackass’ poisonous attitude

5. hitdog042 - Apr 21, 2013 at 8:22 PM

Sox fans need to get off lackey. He looked good in his one start. He’s been hurt since he got here. Give the man a chance. Seriously. He’s a upgrade over Aceves.

6. hitdog042 - Apr 21, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Squirrels u are clueless. Lackey is beloved in the clubhouse. Listen to how his teammates talk about him. All positive. All the time. People crack me up. Pedroia said he’s one of the best teammates he’s ever had. Poison? Nope. I’ll believe the players. And I’ll believe Tim Wakefield who said the same thing.

7. uyf1950 - Apr 21, 2013 at 8:25 PM

…and the Red Sox are aiming or should I say hoping for sometime after the All Star that Lackey returns.

8. hitdog042 - Apr 21, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I could care less what anyone thinks about my team. As for their management? Here’s prob 27 teams that would love to trade w us. Some Boston fans are just silly. I guess 2 titles in 9 years after not having once since 1918 isn’t good enough. Moronic.

9. hitdog042 - Apr 21, 2013 at 8:41 PM

* there’s and *won that should read

• jimeejohnson - Apr 21, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Grammar police thank you.

Final take away from World Series