Jonny Gomes orders custom bat with names of the Boston Marathon bombing victims

Apr 21, 2013, 12:59 PM EST

Red Sox outfielder Jonny Gomes will be swinging a custom bat Sunday to honor the three who died at the Boston Marathon bombings and the MIT police officer who was shot and killed in the ensuing manhunt for the suspects. Red Sox third baseman Will Middlebrooks shared a photo of the bat on Twitter:

source:

1. spellingcops - Apr 21, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Very cool gesture. I wonder what kind of old grumpy ass pessimistic spin Old Gator will put on this one…

2. tfbuckfutter - Apr 21, 2013 at 1:22 PM

Very nice.

They were going to Instagram what David Ortiz had etched into his bat, but it would violate the site’s terms of service.

3. bigleagues - Apr 21, 2013 at 1:26 PM

In an admittedly twisted way, I’d like to see the bombers faces on the barrel of Papi’s bat.

Ya know, so he can smash them against a 95 MPH Fastball.

• Kevin S. - Apr 21, 2013 at 3:26 PM

They could let Eli Roth wield it.

4. romoscollarbone - Apr 21, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I hope he has 4 so he can take an AB with each and send it to the families.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 21, 2013 at 1:50 PM

With 9 Ks and 9 BBs in 34 PA’s there is a pretty good chance the bats will be in flawless condition too.

• ironyisadeadscene - Apr 21, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Red Sox fan and that is hilarious

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 21, 2013 at 2:30 PM

I am too.

And thanks.

• pinkfloydprism - Apr 21, 2013 at 5:07 PM

He may not be a great player, but he seems like a stand-up guy!

• cackalackyank - Apr 21, 2013 at 6:39 PM

I was thinking the same thing…and tbuckfutter…that IS damn funny.

5. ningenito78 - Apr 21, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Cool gesture.

6. jdrew506 - Apr 21, 2013 at 1:56 PM

As a long time Yankee fan, I grew up hating the Red Sox. With everything that they did after 9/11 and this recent bombings I have gained much respect for them as an organization that has shown themselves full of nothing but class. Although I still root against them when they play ball, especially against the Yankees, I will never do so with the hatred I did growing up. My heart goes out to all affected in Boston and 2 thumbs up to all the Boston teams and their fans for the class and heart they have shown during these times.

• jwbiii - Apr 21, 2013 at 5:02 PM

People are people. Some of them suck. Most of them are ok.

• yahmule - Apr 21, 2013 at 5:59 PM

Yep. The ones who suck are just more conspicuous.

• pinkfloydprism - Apr 21, 2013 at 5:09 PM

I agree. I am a sox fan and the way that NY stood up for my home town made me respect them more than the past. I have lost the hatred and now it is more of a competitive rivalry for me.

• deacon85 - Apr 21, 2013 at 6:14 PM

I have always despised the Yankees (less so when Joe Torre was manager) and will always enjoy it when they lose, but I never lose sight of the fact that they and their fans are Americans just like me and when somebody decides to kill Americans, then they’re asking for trouble from all of us. It’s nice to hear “Sweet Caroline” playing in all the ballparks; it’s even nicer seeing SWAT teams hunting down, arresting and cuffing somebody stupid enough to think that they can mess with Boston.

7. mj1818 - Apr 21, 2013 at 2:00 PM

That’s an awesome idea. Very unique and pays tribute in a great way.

8. bigleagues - Apr 21, 2013 at 2:06 PM

Also, if Gomes hits a Home Run today with that bat, he’ll never have to buy a meal in Boston again.

Let’s just hope if he does hit a homer, it’s one that just barely makes it over the wall, because if he crushes it, I can just hear Orsillo having a very unfortunate Freudian moment.

9. mgflolox - Apr 21, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Classy move by Gomes. He did a great job for the A’s last year, and now I’m rooting for him to be just as productive for the Sawx.

10. leeeroooyjeeenkiiins - Apr 21, 2013 at 7:42 PM

As a Rays fan, he’s still one of my all time favorite players. Just an all around great guy, and he’ll always have his teammates’ backs. Sucks to see him on a division rival’s roster, but I’ve still gotta root for him whenever he’s not facing us.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5361)