Apr 21, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
From MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon comes word that the Reds have placed catcher Ryan Hanigan on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left oblique muscle. Hanigan has also been dealing with a sore right thumb and seems likely to miss about three weeks.
Corky Miller was called up from Triple-A Louisville to provide depth at catcher behind Devin Mesoraco.
Hanigan is just 3-for-38 (.079./182/.079) so far this season, but the Reds love his defense behind the plate and the way he handles the pitching staff so he should get his starting job back once he returns even if Mesoraco tears it up in his absence.
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 36
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 37
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 6
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Umpire Joe West suspended for one game for his part in the Jonathan Papelbon incident 56
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Jose Altuve breaks Craig Biggio’s franchise record, tallying his 211th hit of the season 13
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (88)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)