Apr 21, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
From MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon comes word that the Reds have placed catcher Ryan Hanigan on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left oblique muscle. Hanigan has also been dealing with a sore right thumb and seems likely to miss about three weeks.
Corky Miller was called up from Triple-A Louisville to provide depth at catcher behind Devin Mesoraco.
Hanigan is just 3-for-38 (.079./182/.079) so far this season, but the Reds love his defense behind the plate and the way he handles the pitching staff so he should get his starting job back once he returns even if Mesoraco tears it up in his absence.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17