Apr 21, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
From MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon comes word that the Reds have placed catcher Ryan Hanigan on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left oblique muscle. Hanigan has also been dealing with a sore right thumb and seems likely to miss about three weeks.
Corky Miller was called up from Triple-A Louisville to provide depth at catcher behind Devin Mesoraco.
Hanigan is just 3-for-38 (.079./182/.079) so far this season, but the Reds love his defense behind the plate and the way he handles the pitching staff so he should get his starting job back once he returns even if Mesoraco tears it up in his absence.
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 0
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 10
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)