Apr 21, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
From MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon comes word that the Reds have placed catcher Ryan Hanigan on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left oblique muscle. Hanigan has also been dealing with a sore right thumb and seems likely to miss about three weeks.
Corky Miller was called up from Triple-A Louisville to provide depth at catcher behind Devin Mesoraco.
Hanigan is just 3-for-38 (.079./182/.079) so far this season, but the Reds love his defense behind the plate and the way he handles the pitching staff so he should get his starting job back once he returns even if Mesoraco tears it up in his absence.
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 0
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 6
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 71
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 85
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)