Apr 21, 2013, 12:07 PM EDT
From MLB.com’s Mark Sheldon comes word that the Reds have placed catcher Ryan Hanigan on the 15-day disabled list with a strained left oblique muscle. Hanigan has also been dealing with a sore right thumb and seems likely to miss about three weeks.
Corky Miller was called up from Triple-A Louisville to provide depth at catcher behind Devin Mesoraco.
Hanigan is just 3-for-38 (.079./182/.079) so far this season, but the Reds love his defense behind the plate and the way he handles the pitching staff so he should get his starting job back once he returns even if Mesoraco tears it up in his absence.
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 33
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 26
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 25
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 131
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” 90
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 76
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (198)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (131)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)