Apr 21, 2013, 8:53 AM EST
Scott Kazmir allowed six earned runs over 3 1/3 innings in his first big league start since 2011, but the Indians enjoyed a massive day at the plate in routing the Astros 19-6 Saturday night in Houston.
The Tribe combined for 22 hits — seven of which were doubles and three of which were home runs. Nick Swisher doubled three times on his own and veteran designated hitter Jason Giambi collected a game-high five RBI. Eight runs crossed the plate in the first inning and six were scored in the second.
Mark Reynolds was 2-for-4 with four RBI and is now batting .296/.371/.704 with six home runs and 17 RBI through 15 games this season. Which is making that one-year, $6 million contract that he signed this offseason look like a real bargain.
The Indians are just 6-10 and Kazmir seems unlikely to stick, but the offense is legit.
Your Saturday box scores:
Dodgers 5, Orioles 7 (Game 1)
Yankees 5, Blue Jays 3 (11 innings)
Marlins 2, Reds 3 (13 innings)
Twins 2, White Sox 1 (10 innings)
Dodgers 1, Orioles 6 (Game 2)
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)