Apr 21, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
Scott Kazmir allowed six earned runs over 3 1/3 innings in his first big league start since 2011, but the Indians enjoyed a massive day at the plate in routing the Astros 19-6 Saturday night in Houston.
The Tribe combined for 22 hits — seven of which were doubles and three of which were home runs. Nick Swisher doubled three times on his own and veteran designated hitter Jason Giambi collected a game-high five RBI. Eight runs crossed the plate in the first inning and six were scored in the second.
Mark Reynolds was 2-for-4 with four RBI and is now batting .296/.371/.704 with six home runs and 17 RBI through 15 games this season. Which is making that one-year, $6 million contract that he signed this offseason look like a real bargain.
The Indians are just 6-10 and Kazmir seems unlikely to stick, but the offense is legit.
Your Saturday box scores:
Dodgers 5, Orioles 7 (Game 1)
Yankees 5, Blue Jays 3 (11 innings)
Marlins 2, Reds 3 (13 innings)
Twins 2, White Sox 1 (10 innings)
Dodgers 1, Orioles 6 (Game 2)
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 12
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 56
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)