Apr 21, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
Scott Kazmir allowed six earned runs over 3 1/3 innings in his first big league start since 2011, but the Indians enjoyed a massive day at the plate in routing the Astros 19-6 Saturday night in Houston.
The Tribe combined for 22 hits — seven of which were doubles and three of which were home runs. Nick Swisher doubled three times on his own and veteran designated hitter Jason Giambi collected a game-high five RBI. Eight runs crossed the plate in the first inning and six were scored in the second.
Mark Reynolds was 2-for-4 with four RBI and is now batting .296/.371/.704 with six home runs and 17 RBI through 15 games this season. Which is making that one-year, $6 million contract that he signed this offseason look like a real bargain.
The Indians are just 6-10 and Kazmir seems unlikely to stick, but the offense is legit.
Your Saturday box scores:
Dodgers 5, Orioles 7 (Game 1)
Yankees 5, Blue Jays 3 (11 innings)
Marlins 2, Reds 3 (13 innings)
Twins 2, White Sox 1 (10 innings)
Dodgers 1, Orioles 6 (Game 2)
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)