Apr 21, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
Scott Kazmir allowed six earned runs over 3 1/3 innings in his first big league start since 2011, but the Indians enjoyed a massive day at the plate in routing the Astros 19-6 Saturday night in Houston.
The Tribe combined for 22 hits — seven of which were doubles and three of which were home runs. Nick Swisher doubled three times on his own and veteran designated hitter Jason Giambi collected a game-high five RBI. Eight runs crossed the plate in the first inning and six were scored in the second.
Mark Reynolds was 2-for-4 with four RBI and is now batting .296/.371/.704 with six home runs and 17 RBI through 15 games this season. Which is making that one-year, $6 million contract that he signed this offseason look like a real bargain.
The Indians are just 6-10 and Kazmir seems unlikely to stick, but the offense is legit.
Your Saturday box scores:
Dodgers 5, Orioles 7 (Game 1)
Yankees 5, Blue Jays 3 (11 innings)
Marlins 2, Reds 3 (13 innings)
Twins 2, White Sox 1 (10 innings)
Dodgers 1, Orioles 6 (Game 2)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 0
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 24
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)