Through 19 games, the Marlins are historically bad

Apr 21, 2013, 6:05 PM EST

Jon Rauch AP

With a 10-6 loss to the Reds this afternoon, the Miami Marlins dropped to 4-15 on the season. Not that it is a shock to anyone, but they are by far the worst-hitting team in baseball: their .242 weighted on-base average (wOBA) is well below the second-worst Mariners’ .279.  The starting pitching has been decent, but the five-to-seven innings of good starting pitching is quickly undone by the bottom-feeding bullpen which includes such luminaries as John Maine and Chad Qualls.

The Marlins’ start through 19 games is historically bad. They have never won fewer than five games in their first 19 in franchise history — they started 5-14 in 1995, 1998, and 1999.

The Marlins, with 43 runs scored through 19, become the 19th team in baseball history to host such an anemic offense and only the fourth to do it in the 2000’s. The full list:

Team Date Wins WP RS RA RunDiff
MIL 5/13/1972 6 .316 38 65 -27
BAL 4/26/1988 0 .000 36 118 -82
DET 4/23/2003 2 .105 43 100 -57
MON 4/25/2004 5 .263 34 72 -38
PIT 4/27/2012 8 .421 42 57 -15
MIA 4/21/2013 4 .211 43 89 -46

And with a -46 run differential, the Marlins become the 15th team since 1975 to start the season off so poorly and the eighth of the 2000’s. The list:

Team Date Wins WP RS RA RD
DET 4/23/2002 4 .211 76 125 -49
CIN 4/20/2003 6 .316 90 144 -54
TEX 4/20/2003 8 .421 77 125 -48
DET 4/23/2003 2 .105 43 100 -57
PIT 4/26/2010 7 .368 65 147 -82
MIA 4/21/2013  4 .211 43 89 -46

If the team gets any worse, Jeffrey Loria will have to find another fan or two to alienate.

1. randygnyc - Apr 21, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Because I’m too lazy to look combined with the fact that some of you may have the stats handy, what are the worst 10 teams so far this year. I’ve been marveling at how bad the Indians, Astros (expected) rays (despite a decent record) the cubs and padres are.

• jwbiii - Apr 21, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Pyth has Sea, Tor, Hou, TBR, Cle, and LAA in the AL.
      Mia, LAD, ChC, Phi, SDP, and WsN in the NL.

The Nationals have a good W/L record, but they’ve been blown out a couple of times.

• randygnyc - Apr 21, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Jwbiii- thanks. Instinctively, I knew the dodgers and Toronto would be there somewhere. The Nat’s will get it together and I expect the Angels to be better in the future but not playoff bound. Both LA teams, with their massive payrolls, has to be disappointing to everyone with any kind of stake in those teams.

2. nbjays - Apr 21, 2013 at 6:11 PM

Cue Ol’ Gator in 3…2…1…

• proudlycanadian - Apr 21, 2013 at 6:15 PM

Old Gator is surprised that they have already won 4 games.

• Charles Gates - Apr 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Old Gator would say something to the effect of the Feesh stinking prior to them laying out in the hot Miami summer sun is exemplary of Loria’s demonstrated inability to manage the proper time series sequence of team decomposition, along with everything else he’s allowed his little chihuahua to lift his leg over. Though he’ll use significantly more words and intertwangle in a biological species for the proper bottom feeding metaphor along with a reaching literary reference he will chuckle over both because of its inherent subtly and that he’s the only one that will get it. And probably ball pythons.

• Old Gator - Apr 21, 2013 at 7:33 PM

We’re not even talking about mere bottom feeders here. We’re talking about the flattened larvae of mayflies and caddisflies and the larvae of certain salamanders inhabiting the friction layer. We’re talking about a team so flattened by front orifice incompetence, so insoluble that its elements wouldn’t mix if spun in a centrifuge.

This isn’t another bogus Feesh “rebuilding program,” and it never was. It’s what the Chihuahua, in one of his clumsier moments of fecalspeak, referred to as a “market correction,” which is another term for sitting around getting bloated on the luxury tax revenues being generated by the teams who are actually trying to win something and please their fans. The fault, dear Brutus, is not in Bud Light, but in the toleration of the other owners for Scrooge McLoria’s scamming of them, that we are collectively pissing targets.

• Old Gator - Apr 21, 2013 at 7:45 PM

PS Bill – Maine was DFA’s yesterday. He gone. And Qualls at 4.15 is only middle of the pack in ERA on this team’s boolpen

Ball pythons are pretty cool, and, as relatively small (four feet is a big one), almost entirely rodent eaters, not an environmental destabilizer here in merry Macondo. What I’d like to see is a population of reticulated pythons get established here. And saltwater crocodiles. Yes, especially them. Now that would eat into the stray horse problem in Macondo. No more being awakened at three in the morning by loud whinnying because some idiot down the street said “Frau Blücher” where his horse could hear him.

• jwbiii - Apr 21, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Old Gator, I was recently reading about the giant snails. Something that eats stucco and wallboard for the calcium, reproduces a lot, and has no natural predators could be a significant problem. Heard much about them?

• Old Gator - Apr 21, 2013 at 9:57 PM

Yeah, they’re superstars down here. Shells as big as a smartphone. Had one on the wall the other day. You just spray the exposed part of it with a basic insecticide; it absorbs it and shrivels and dies very quickly. Another trick is to leave a shallow pan of beer sunk into the ground near the foundation of your house, especially in an area where moisture accumulates, like near ferns or shrubs. They crawl in there, get stoned and drown. Really. I use Bud Light. Surprised?

As far as eating calcium, I thought I’d let them into my mind to browse the plaque accumulating on my cerebral dendrites.

• Francisco (FC) - Apr 21, 2013 at 11:58 PM

so insoluble that its elements wouldn’t mix if spun in a centrifuge.

Not that I wish to critique, but I thought centrifuges are used to separate (not mix) elements such that denser material flows radially towards the bottom and lighter ones toward the top?

• jwbiii - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:06 AM

We used to use the beer in the pan trick on slugs in Virginia. Lacking shells, slugs have no craving for calcium but they do like whatever vegetables you happen to be growing. Our fun morning game was to guess the night’s take based on the consistency of the pan’s contents. I had an unusual childhood.

• Old Gator - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:02 AM

Francisco: you’re on point. Critique away. I humbly amend my comment to “shaken in a paint mixer.”

3. cocheese000 - Apr 21, 2013 at 6:30 PM

worst ever was the orioles going 0-21.

• jwbiii - Apr 21, 2013 at 7:03 PM

Before beating the White Sox and Jack McDowell with me in the left field bleachers.

• yahmule - Apr 21, 2013 at 9:16 PM

I thought them popping champagne in the clubhouse after that game was one of the most surreal things I’ve ever seen.

• cocheese000 - Apr 21, 2013 at 10:00 PM

So the os beat blackjack McDowell and popped champagne after losing 21straight?

4. woody82986 - Apr 21, 2013 at 6:41 PM

At some point soon, I would really like to see NOBODY show up for their home games. I don’t mean 2,000 fans, or 1,000 fans. Not a single living soul to sell a beer or a hotdog to. Foul balls just clank off empty seats and come to rest on the ground. I love live baseball as much as the next guy, even when it’s two crappy teams. But that owner is an asshat of an other worldly nature and someone needs to teach him a lesson. This isn’t “Major League”. These guys aren’t going to suddenly click it all together and vie for the pennant. These guys weren’t even assembled to give the owner an excuse to move the team! Loria is honestly Just. An. Asshole.

• Old Gator - Apr 21, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Unfortunately, we won’t see that. Scrooge McLoria has hired cropdusters to release hundreds of thousands of free teeckets – tarjetas libres, as we say down here – while pretending to skywrite Coppertone ads high above Macondo. He had been experimenting with holographic projections of fans onto the empty seats but gave that up when, somehow, some artifecal intelligence or other that had eluded the Turing Squad activated in the Macondo Banana Massacre Field computer system and the holograms began spontaneously chanting “Loria sucks! Loria sucks! Loria sucks!”

5. rbj1 - Apr 21, 2013 at 6:43 PM

Cue the 1899 Cleveland Spiders watch!

• Old Gator - Apr 21, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Our odd Hemingway hound, Fido, loves that team. He fires a quill every time I mention it.

6. cackalackyank - Apr 21, 2013 at 6:44 PM

Gee….and I thought the Astros were gonna be bad.

• chill1184 - Apr 21, 2013 at 7:08 PM

Astros have a plan (from what Ive read) to their situation at the very least

• randygnyc - Apr 21, 2013 at 7:26 PM

Astros have adopted the Nat’s blueprints. Suck formamfewmyears while “earning” top draft picks. In a few years when they would be ready for the bigs, they’ll get into the FA market. Worked in Washington. And, they’ve at least been honest with their fans.

7. thegonz13 - Apr 21, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Loria has run out of fans to alienate. The poor schmuck -trying to remain polite here- has alienated the entire area code.

I feel sorry for the players…

8. thebadguyswon - Apr 21, 2013 at 7:06 PM

This is the worst everyday lineup I have seen in 20 years. At some point, MLB has to – HAS TO – kick Jeffrey Loria to the curb. This is about him making money and nothing else.

This team – aside from Stanton, Fernandez and Chisek – is a total joke.

9. 13arod - Apr 21, 2013 at 7:14 PM

there pitchers are doing goog though

10. slickdemetrius - Apr 21, 2013 at 7:53 PM

I’m thinking Mr.Loria just wants to move the team to Cleveland and with a little help from an ex-con starting pitcher, an elderly catcher and a voodoo power hitter, he may achieve his dream.

11. tfbuckfutter - Apr 21, 2013 at 8:07 PM

Historically bad?

Ridiculous.

A double-A team with a couple major leaguers has won 4 games against Major League competition.

That’s pretty damned impressive, I say.

• historiophiliac - Apr 21, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Historically bad? Like that crap movie musical 1776 featuring the other FF’s ganging up on John Adams and telling him to park it in rhythm? William Daniels played Adams and I won’t make you connect him to Kevin Bacon, but will thrill you by pointing out he was the voice of KITT in Knight Rider. (BTW, the film also featured a young Blythe Danner, and I’m pretty sure you COULD get to Kevin Bacon easily knowing that.)

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 21, 2013 at 10:07 PM

William Daniels = Mr. Feeney.

I loved Knight Rider as a kid (even had the Atari game that, like E.T., I don’t think actually DID anything) but the first couple seasons of Boy Meets World is more significant to me. Adam Scott from Parks and Recreations was on that show. As was Ronnie Pinsky from Salute Your Shorts and Ethan Suplee from Kevin Smith’s movies as well as My Name is Earl.

Anyway…..I probably can’t do it in 6 steps, but just for my own amusement let’s go Kevin Bacon to Kitt from Knight Rider, only in reverse order starting at White Water Summer (which rules!) and without using Sean Astin….So we’ll go WWS with Eddie from Growing Pains (Instead of Douglas from the first season of Charles in Charge, and also Eddie was Mike’s friend but not Boner who hung himself in the woods in Vancouver IRL) and Leonardo Dicaprio was on Growing Pains, and he was in Basketball Diaries with Mark Wahlberg who was in Date Night with Tina Few who was in Baby Mama with Amy Poehler who is on Parks and Recs with Adam Scott who played Griff on Boy Meets World.

I am POSITIVE there is a shorter connection but I totally love doing things stream-of-consciousnessly.

• scratchnsniffnblog - Apr 21, 2013 at 11:57 PM

William Daniels > Sunburn w/Charles Grodin > Heart and Souls w/Kyra Sedgwick > The Woodsman w/Kevin Bacon

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:45 AM

I have never heard of Sunburn.

But I credit your use of The Woodsman because that was really a good movie.

I love movies that make you feel empathy for characters that have a trait that is completely and totally unforgivable…..like pedophilia (Little Children falls in this category too)

The wife and I actually fell into a mini-Friday the 13th marathon this weekend (but not the first one….featuring one Mr. Kevin Bacon)…..

And I realized….maybe Jason is a sympathetic character…..he is mentally handicapped, drowns as a child, has a mother who murders a bunch of kids and blames it on him, then has to suffer the death of his beloved mother….and THEN has to deal with constantly having his grave molested after he is sporadically resting in peace.

Maybe Jason just needs some love. Maybe just don’t go into the woods he inhabits. Is that too much to ask? This is Jason’s property. No one go across these boundaries. And then everything is good.

But nooo…..you poke him and then suddenly he is in Manhattan punching dudes heads off on top of buildings. That didn’t have to happen! Just don’t play paintball in his woods! Just leave him alone!

Wait….how did we get here again?

12. hojo20 - Apr 21, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Ahhh, I see the 1988 Orioles on the list. I was 16. I’ll never forget coming home from work that Friday and my drunk Dad telling me they beat the White Sox for their first win.

• jerze2387 - Apr 21, 2013 at 9:40 PM

..and then you telling him hes full of $#!t because the Orioles suck and hes drunk. then you saw the newspaper (because HBT wasnt around in 88)

13. blingslade - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:43 AM

Man, I thought Finley was hated but Loria has him beat by a long shot.

If the owner doesn’t call it quits and try to sell the team then Selig is going to have to get involved.

The attendance is bad now, just think how bad it’s going to get as the season goes along.

• Old Gator - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM

These calls for “action” by Bud Light are as futile as hoping that your dog will come down from that tree by himself.

14. mj1818 - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:52 AM

I empathize with marlins fans because I know exactly how it feels. I can’t imagine how difficult a time it must be for their sales people right about now. The charlotte knights will out sell them next year with the new ballpark.

15. Sign Ahead - Apr 22, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Lieutenant Marimow’s work is nearly done.

16. foreverchipper10 - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:17 PM

Wasn’t John Maine DFA’d the other day?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4701)
  2. M. Kemp (3732)
  3. M. Cabrera (2925)
  4. J. Kang (2773)
  5. J. Upton (2631)
  1. M. Morse (2620)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2304)
  3. A. Rios (2275)