Apr 21, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
As reported Saturday by Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Dodgers outfield prospect Yasiel Puig has been placed on the disabled list at Double-A Chattanooga because of a sprained left thumb.
It is not considered a serious injury at this time.
Puig almost cracked Los Angeles’ Opening Day roster this spring by batting .526 with a 1.351 OPS across 59 Cactus League plate appearances. But the Dodgers couldn’t guarantee him regular playing time and opted instead to get him more seasoning.
The talented 22-year-old Cuban defector is hitting .333/.385/.625 with three home runs and nine RBI through 52 plate appearances this month at Chattanooga. He should be back in action within the next couple of weeks and could climb his way to the major leagues by the end of this summer.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (80)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)