Apr 21, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
As reported Saturday by Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Dodgers outfield prospect Yasiel Puig has been placed on the disabled list at Double-A Chattanooga because of a sprained left thumb.
It is not considered a serious injury at this time.
Puig almost cracked Los Angeles’ Opening Day roster this spring by batting .526 with a 1.351 OPS across 59 Cactus League plate appearances. But the Dodgers couldn’t guarantee him regular playing time and opted instead to get him more seasoning.
The talented 22-year-old Cuban defector is hitting .333/.385/.625 with three home runs and nine RBI through 52 plate appearances this month at Chattanooga. He should be back in action within the next couple of weeks and could climb his way to the major leagues by the end of this summer.
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 6
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 16
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)