Apr 21, 2013, 3:25 PM EDT
As reported Saturday by Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Dodgers outfield prospect Yasiel Puig has been placed on the disabled list at Double-A Chattanooga because of a sprained left thumb.
It is not considered a serious injury at this time.
Puig almost cracked Los Angeles’ Opening Day roster this spring by batting .526 with a 1.351 OPS across 59 Cactus League plate appearances. But the Dodgers couldn’t guarantee him regular playing time and opted instead to get him more seasoning.
The talented 22-year-old Cuban defector is hitting .333/.385/.625 with three home runs and nine RBI through 52 plate appearances this month at Chattanooga. He should be back in action within the next couple of weeks and could climb his way to the major leagues by the end of this summer.
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 0
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 14
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 37
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 181
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 38
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (181)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)