Apr 21, 2013, 3:25 PM EST
As reported Saturday by Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times, Dodgers outfield prospect Yasiel Puig has been placed on the disabled list at Double-A Chattanooga because of a sprained left thumb.
It is not considered a serious injury at this time.
Puig almost cracked Los Angeles’ Opening Day roster this spring by batting .526 with a 1.351 OPS across 59 Cactus League plate appearances. But the Dodgers couldn’t guarantee him regular playing time and opted instead to get him more seasoning.
The talented 22-year-old Cuban defector is hitting .333/.385/.625 with three home runs and nine RBI through 52 plate appearances this month at Chattanooga. He should be back in action within the next couple of weeks and could climb his way to the major leagues by the end of this summer.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)