Barry Zito is a reborn Christian, “really excited” about owning and shooting guns

Apr 22, 2013, 11:03 AM EST

Barry Zito Getty Images

Barry Zito got tagged with some sort of hippie/playboy/zen master stereotype when he came up with the A’s. Since then most of that has been obscured by talk of his contract, his pitching struggles and then his nice little comeback the past season or so.

But his interview in the May “GQ” reveals a much different Barry Zito than that which exists in casual, popular perception.  Turns out that he found God in 2011 and he and his wife have immersed themselves in “the Christian faith” to use Zito’s term. Also: while he still surfs and does yoga, he has a new passion:

You’ve been written about a great deal, as you pointed out. But is there anything you’re interested in that we don’t know about?

Let’s see. I’ve kind of picked up a new hobby of shooting firearms. So that’s something that I’ve really gotten excited about lately. I think when you have a family and you understand that you have so much to lose if some lunatic is gonna come off the street and try to do something in your home, it makes you feel a little better to know that I’ll be able to defend my family. It’s a utilitarian thing. That’s basically what it’s about.

I’m struggling to think of whose violent impulses are so messed up and random that Barry Zito of all people becomes the target of them, but I suppose that sort of thing, by definition, defies rational analysis.

The bigger takeaway, I think, is that while it’s often tempting and easy to pigeonhole hippie/playboy/zen/surfer types on the one hand, and it’s tempting and easy to pigeonhole Christian gun owner types on the other, there are a lot of people — probably most people — who fit neither of those easy caricatures. Zito is his own dude, comes off as a pretty thoughtful dude, and there’s something cool about that.

In other news, that Zito interview is part of a baseball package which includes Buster Posey, Zito, Brandon Phillips, Chase Headley, Jake Peavy, and Andre Ethier modeling clothes that are vaguely baseball-inspired. Posey in what look like sweat-capris is a particular highlight.

Next month, if there is a God in Heaven who loves us and wants us to be happy, we’ll have the Matt Adams/Billy Butler swimsuit pictorial.

135 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. heyblueyoustink - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:08 AM

Meets

“Gil Renard: Don’t you talk back to me! You show me some respect! Without people like me, you’re nothing! We’re the ones that get you your 40 fuckin’ million!

Bobby Rayburn: Look, what do you want?

Gil Renard: What do I want? I want every time they think of you, they’re gonna think of me. ”

Now, on and on with the guns argle fargle bargle…..

• rje49 - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Owning and shooting firearms doesn’t have to be about thinking of self defense and shooting others. I own a variety of firearms. My enjoyment comes from target shooting and loading my own ammo. It’s my competitive spirit and the challenge of making my ammo as precise as possible and improving my abilities to shoot accurately.

• louhudson23 - Apr 23, 2013 at 2:43 AM

That is all fine and reasonable to me. The question is, do you believe that society has the right to require that you be granted a license (based on certain facts) and that your guns be registered and tracked(as best they can) and that the fact that you do or do not buy them at a retail outlet be the determining factor in whether any of this occurs.??

2. Ben - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Then Jesus said to him, “Put your sword back into its place. For all who take the sword will perish by the sword.

But whatever.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Exactly- whatever. If Jesus was packing, those Romans would have thought twice before they nailed him to that cross.

• Ben - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:14 AM

For sure.

Oh wait:

“Or do you think that I cannot appeal to My Father, and He will at once put at My disposal more than twelve legions of angels?”

But whatever. Christ totally loved guns.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:21 AM

12 Gauge > 12 Legions of Angels.

• Ben - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Joking aside, I always interpreted these passages as a test of faith of sorts. Weapons are for those whose faith is too weak to trust in Christ, and in god’s intercession. Those Christians on the right have interpreted Christ as saying there is a proper place for weapon, but that’s simply a literalism that misses the larger point of the passage.

• Brian Donohue - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM

All he had to do was just walk through Wall St. with a sign and he only would have gotten his face pepper sprayed. But no, JC just had to go tipping over the tables of the money changers and free agents. If he’d just stuck to that “give unto Goldman the things that are Goldman” line, why he’d still be roaming around even now…

• apmn - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM

Two possible scenarios:

1) Jesus goes down in a blaze of glory, gunning down Romans left and right before being chopped apart by the mass of soldiers coming against him. He dies and becomes a footnote in history. Or,

2) Jesus repudiates violence, shows us a new way, and, despite dying, rises and lives on today as an example of divine human.

Thank God he chose the second.

• historiophiliac - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:31 PM

“As for those agitators, I wish they would go the whole way and emasculate themselves!” Gal 5:12

• normcash - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Of course, if Christ had fought back and not been crucified (assuming the crucifiction
        was an actual historical event), there wouldn’t BE a Christian religion….

• anxovies - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:22 PM

But Peter was packing (and maybe picked a peck of pickled peppers) and it didn’t do any good. “Then Simon Peter having a sword drew it, and smote the high priest’s servant, and cut off his right ear.” John 18:10.

• sportsdrenched - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:28 AM

Thank You Ben. When stuff like this gets into the media there is a rush to attribute the behaviour of the more visible Christians to what Christ actually said. Learn what Christ teaches, not what people, Christian or otherwise, said he taught.

• mybrunoblog - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM

Luke 22:36
      Jesus said the the disciples “But now the one who has the purse must take it, and likewise a bag. And the one who has no sword must sell his cloak and buy one”

• Ben - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Cite the whole passage.

He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. 37 It is written: ‘And he was numbered with the transgressors’[b]; and I tell you that this must be fulfilled in me. Yes, what is written about me is reaching its fulfillment.”

38 The disciples said, “See, Lord, here are two swords.”

“That’s enough!” he replied.

Surely if two swords are all that is needed, what Christ has in mind here is something deeper than “everyone go get a sword.” The discussions I’ve heard about it mostly center on the swords as symbolism for the changed relationship with Jerusalem.

• chacochicken - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM

“Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.”

Matthew 10:34

• Ben - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Yeah, those Mathew verses are fascinating, and certainly the most troublesome for modern Christians. But again, please, cite the whole verse. The sword is symbolic of the turmoil within households.

34 “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword. 35 For I have come to turn

“‘a man against his father,
        a daughter against her mother,
        a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—
        36 a man’s enemies will be the members of his own household.’[c]
        37 “Anyone who loves their father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves their son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me. 38 Whoever does not take up their cross and follow me is not worthy of me. 39 Whoever finds their life will lose it, and whoever loses their life for my sake will find it.

• number42is1 - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Ezekiel 25:17
        “The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother’s keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.”

There were guns involved in that too… im just sayin

• chacochicken - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM

They could symbolize that or that could be your/the early church’s rationalization to change a far more violent personage to something more passive.

• historiophiliac - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Wow, only 4 posts before someone goes Old Testament.

• pandorasdadca - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:43 PM

He only went “Old testament” because he went “Pulp Fiction’, and it was awesome.

• historiophiliac - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Ok, clearly, I cannot have conversations with you dudes today.

• notsofast10 - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Apparently you quote scripture without understanding the context and meaning. I really encourage you to study why Jesus told Peter to put away his sword.

• chacochicken - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:43 PM

Or the context is ignored and the meaning becomes conventional wisdom that isn’t critically analyzed.

• Old Gator - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:03 PM

My favorite Gospel passage is the one where Jesus walks into the Temple courtyard with an AK-47 and opens fire on the money changers.

• badintent - Apr 23, 2013 at 1:33 AM

the AK jammed, Chinese knock off

3. coryfor3 - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM

That will go over great in SF.

4. Old Gator - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Turn the other cheek, then open fire.

• deathmonkey41 - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:41 AM

Jeffery Loria did not want to hear you say that…

• Old Gator - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:04 PM

The only cheek I’ve ever turned to that jerk had a twin.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM

While listening to Neil Diamond sing ‘Sweet Caroline!”

• Old Gator - Apr 22, 2013 at 5:08 PM

It’s difficult to aim and throw up at the same time, you know?

5. tfbuckfutter - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Papelbon called. He wants to hang out.

Seriously though, heard Jim Jefferies on the radio the other day absolutely destroy, cleverly and pleasantly mind you, the host who was talking about how he needed guns to protect his family. At which point he was asked “When your kids are teenagers and you and the wife go away for a weekend or something, which one will you leave in charge of the gun?” and he said he wouldn’t give his teenagers access to guns and Jim replied “What kind of father leaves his children in harm’s way without a gun to protect themselves?”

It was hilarious, and in light of this article about a guy who isn’t even HOME to “protect” his family a good share of the time….it’s a good question.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Easy…easy decision Buckfutter.
      Obviously, you leave the firearms with the teenager who is the better shot.
      Of course…you only become a good shot by knowing your firearms, it’s capabilites, and praticing your shooting.

• skids003 - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM

stlouis, I agree. I taught mine how to handle and respect firearms. Don’t be scared of them, just treat with the utmost respect.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:50 PM

“Even as a gun owner, I think that licensing should be REQUIRED, not just background checks, but you should actually have to prove that you are capable of properly handling the weapon before you can own one.” “That’s not unreasonable in my opinion.”

I don’t disagree at all Buckfutter. So I am not sure what we (you and I) and Chaco are debating. I mean…I. AGREE.

The only thing I took exception with was this…

As if it isn’t humanly possible for a teenager to be a responsible firearms owner. Nope. Families don’t teach this themselves. They don’t target shoot at gun ranges. Or in my case in my back yard and the adjacent woods and farm fields. No training courses are offered. Just load the firearm, hand it too em’ and tell them to squeeze.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:54 PM

That was a quote from the interview he was giving.

It was a very good point I thought, because the host admitted he wouldn’t leave his kids alone with a gun, after suggesting that he needs a gun for protection because it’s a dangerous world, thus he’s leaving his kids unprotected.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I am with you Man. I know it was a quote from the interview. I also know it could have been easily squelched by providing my answer (or one very similar). In fact…I think my answer would have made the guy look silly. But I am biased of course. But I am sure even you will admit the answer I provided was a very good one.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:04 PM

I’m pretty sure he could have made you look goofy too.

But I didn’t have any problem with your reply. Or anything you’ve posted.

I think the vast majority of Americans would agree that RESPONSIBLE gun ownership is the ideal solution. The problem is that, much like shitty drivers thinking they are a great driver irresponsible gun owners THINK they are responsible ones. And we have no way of testing that they are, at the very least, basically competent like we do with drivers.

6. proudlycanadian - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM

An obvious case of “Praise the Lord and pass the Ammo!”

7. chacochicken - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Yes, lets not gloss over the modeling spot here. Oh, the pants are sooo tight.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:01 PM

“Who the hell are you talking about?”
      Did you intend to respond to me Chaco? I am thinking no because the post seems to be directed at someone else. I mean…I never said anything about background checks.
      If your post was intended for me…slower’ down Cheetah.

I was simply agreeing with Skids. To a lot of people (hell…the majority) it seems firearms training and responsible ownership is a foreign concept. That is all. And one more thing…
      I agree with you wholeheartedly on the background checks.
      In fact…
      Not that it is any of your business…but I would have voted YES on (5 of the 7) ammendments.

8. skids003 - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:30 AM

Sounds like he matured and got smart.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:31 PM

“Don’t you like how smug all these people are, especially with their spinning of information. Or just make it up as you go.”

I hear you. But sometimes I think people defend and/or try to mask their ignorance or possibly their naivete but taking the smug approach. I mean…based upon these posts (and my others)…it is obvious people have no clue how people outside of their own little bubbles actually operate.
      Case in point:
      Teaching responsible firearm useage is a foreign concept to them.
      Actually requiring your child, your spouse, your family take firearm safety courses is simply not possible.
      Nope. Just load the firearm and tell junior to pull the trigger. Wow.
      Side note:
      One of my neighbors just returned from Turky hunting in the southern part of the state
      WITH HIS TWELVE YEAR OLD DAUGHTER. Gasp!
      Even more astonishing…they actually have a Youth Turkey season in Indiana.
      Yep. I know. It’s unbelievable. But the Youth hunt was this weekend (04/20 – 04/21).
      Outrageous I tell you. Simply un-heard of!

• chacochicken - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Who the hell are you talking about? As a responsible gun owner, I’d really like universal background checks that close the show/auction loophole, an assault weapons ban, and a limit to the size of ammo clips. That’s just reasonable. Not a single poster here has suggested any short of ban on all firearms. I think you have been riled up to argue with a straw man.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:27 PM

chacochicken, I’m with you.

I own two handguns because I inherited them when my grandfather passed. It’s astonishing to me that it is ok that I can just have them without a background check or anything else. Grandma just says “Pops wanted you to have these” and now they are in my nightstand.

That’s not unreasonable in my opinion.

• Old Gator - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:12 PM

I own a .38 Zodiac that I bought just after Hurricane Andrew, when looting was a real problem in my neighborhood. Once life had returned to a semblance of normal I got a concealed weapon permit and drove out the the Tamiami Trail Range several times to learn how to use and maintain it properly. I’m not “proud” of my gun, not “proud” of owning one, not deluding myself into thinking that I’m protecting democracy by owning it, and not kidding myself that gun ownership will keep us “free” if we don’t actively participate in the democratic process by taking a careful look at political candidates and resolutions and voting. I’m absolutely fine with responsible ownership by law-abiding citizens.

But there needs to be a system in place to keep the mentally ill, those with criminal records and those with a history of domestic violence from being able to purchase them legally. The idiots who fillibustered the registration bill do death, as far as I am concerned, are a bunch of grandstanding two-bit demagogue scum.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:28 PM

What really bothers me about the politics of gun ownership is….

I did some reading after the interview I referenced before…

In the wake of the Port Arthur Massacre in Australia (perpetrated by someone from a place named New Town no less), the Christian Coalition and NRA involved themselves in Australia’s attempt to ban guns (which they did successfully).

• skids003 - Apr 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM

stloius, I’m with you 100%. They fear what they don’t understand or like.

• skids003 - Apr 23, 2013 at 12:22 PM

chacochicken, this so called gunshow loophole doesn’t exist, at least not in my state. I’ve never been to a show you didn’t have a background check done on you right there. And limiting ammo mags just won’t amount to anything, that is useless. And I know no poster here suggests complete bans, but that is the bottome line of the Prez, Feinstein, Bloomberg, Reid, Pelosi, don’t fool yourself.

9. xpensivewinos - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Did anyone else start singing the Beat Farmers’ “Gun Sale at the Church?”

Personally, I found him to be a lot more interesting when he was banging Alyssa Milano. That I would read about…….

• anxovies - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:30 PM

The Beat Farmers. Thanks, I had forgotten about them.

10. paperlions - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Every time I read that someone changed their religion (or re-located it), I always figure that it was the result of a new relationship. Zito was married in December of 2011…the same year he re-located Christ. Not exactly surprising or a coincidence.

This is almost as predictable as a guy becoming vegetarian all of a sudden (and without some underlying urgent health reason), might as well ask him what her name is.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I wish my sister would stick to simple changes to please the men in her life, like changing her religion….

Instead she always picks up their taste in music. And it always sucks.

• chacochicken - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Funny you mention that, I’ve gotten really excited about tranny prostitutes lately.

• paperlions - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I am NEVER EVER going to forgive you for these mental images….E V E R.

• cur68 - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:46 AM

I’m starting to worry about you…

• chacochicken - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM

You sick bastards, I think I’ve been watching too much of Anthony Jeselnik lately.

• paperlions - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Starting?

If he had a map and a compass, it would take him at least a year to find the rails he went off of.

• chacochicken - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM

I can only read this as if you guys have a problem with the transgendered community. Say what you want about Andre Either but his only problem is left handed pitching.

• cur68 - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I am shocked and saddened by these aspersions cast by The Chicken on Andre Ethier. Shocked and saddened I tell you!

Andre Ethier can hit left handed pitching just fine. He just chooses not to. Its a choice, NOT the way he was born. And that’s ok.

• chacochicken - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Perhaps Andre can go to one of those camps and get “fixed” so he can choose to hit lefties again.

• historiophiliac - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:37 PM

You have a seriously low opinion of men.

• paperlions - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Yeah, well….I’ve met a lot of us….not like it is a baseless opinion. :-( or :-) (whatever)

• historiophiliac - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Well, that’s depressing…but I guess I know what happened if you ever start wearing sweaters.

• paperlions - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Yep….you would indeed.

I don’t know if it is depressing so much as it informs what is really important to us. Some battles aren’t worth fighting, and some decisions really aren’t important to us (and yes, that often includes things like diet, clothes, and religion).

• historiophiliac - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:06 PM

So, you’re saying you’re open to sweaters…. lol

You know, it’s entirely likely that the change was coincidental as opposed to causative.

• paperlions - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Possible, I agree. Likely? Eh. I guessed that it was because of a relationship, the story said he was reborn in 2011, so I went to his Wiki page just to see when he met his wife….they were married in December 2011. Yes, it is still possible that it was coincidental….but I have known a lot of guys who have adopted the religion of their GF/wives-to-be. It is a pretty common cause of such changes.

• historiophiliac - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Or, this could be one of the things that made them compatible…or he’s trying to fix her…or etc.

• paperlions - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Yes, it could be.

• paperlions - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:17 PM

The payoff would have to be pretty big for me to own/wear sweaters….we are talking one fantastic woman….and honestly, such a woman could probably do a lot better….so the odds are long on that one.

• historiophiliac - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:18 PM

Damn, it’s a poor dog that won’t wag his own tail.

• paperlions - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:20 PM

I’m just saying….effectively, sweaters are out.

• historiophiliac - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Alright. I don’t have a dog in that fight.

• paperlions - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:26 PM

If at some point I start teaching math in a drafty old building….I’ll probably start wearing a button-up sweater, I think that is part of the uniform of old math teachers.

• historiophiliac - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM

I’ve run out of dog sayings. :(

You should fight that urge. I like it better when things are not what they look like. I pretty much have not looked like a history teacher from day one, I think. But maybe my students will say differently. I refuse to have a sensible haircut, wear comfortable knits, or in other ways look professional. Gag.

• paperlions - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:57 PM

Yeah, I’m the picture of professionalism. Hair down to my waist, beard is about 3-4″ long now, wearing a t-shirt, jeans, and hiking boots….having a job that doesn’t involve interacting with the public is great.

• historiophiliac - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:59 PM

You should randomly mess w/ people by wearing a suit.

• paperlions - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:01 PM

That is reserved for weddings and funerals….and yeah, it is always the same suit….on account of the fact that it is the only one I got.

• historiophiliac - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Does it freak people out? I bet it freaks people out. Also, do you mess with people by wearing a Brian Wilson t-shirt?

• paperlions - Apr 22, 2013 at 4:12 PM

Yeah, it probably does freak them out.

• historiophiliac - Apr 22, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I’m jealous.

• paperlions - Apr 22, 2013 at 4:33 PM

If you grew a long beard and started wearing suits, I bet you could freak some of your family/friends out as well.

• historiophiliac - Apr 22, 2013 at 4:37 PM

No, I think at this point there isn’t much that they wouldn’t expect from me (except maybe a couple of things that are the most true).

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:25 PM

His wife is also a former pig farmer from Missouri.

So I’d wager she comes from a pretty heavily religious family.

• historiophiliac - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:36 PM

Ugh, bacon. Enough said.

• chacochicken - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:48 PM

So historiophiliac, what are you wearing right now?

• historiophiliac - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:53 PM

A dress made from the bones of a thousand dead chickens.

• chacochicken - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Good answer, I’m taking that to mean you are as into sadism as I’m into masochism and history teachers.
        Also, I seem to remember every math teacher I ever had wore denim jumpers.

• historiophiliac - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:00 PM

Denim jumper? I think you mean Ozark Tuxedo.

11. b453841l - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:32 AM

Are those outfits “baseball inspired” because the pants are tight and have dirt stains all over them?

12. DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Personally – I hate guns. Hate them, hate them, hate them. Thats me – I am not trying to tell anyone else to live.

That said – “I’m struggling to think of whose violent impulses are so messed up and random that Barry Zito of all people becomes the target of them”. Right. Eddie Waitkus is a no brainer to shoot – but Zito is safe for sure http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/03/18/the-woman-who-shot-eddie-waitkus-and-inspired-the-natuaral-dies-at-83/

Of course Waitkus was a long time ago, there are no crazy people anymore killing famous people.

• paperlions - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM

True…..but, if he had a gun, it wouldn’t have helped, would it?

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:52 AM

Agreed, and again, I am not fan of guns AT all! If you have a gun, it is far more likely a family member will be shot with it then any would be intruder. I am just saying I can certainly understand why any MLB player may feel paranoid.

• skids003 - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:12 PM

That’s not true Delaware fan, just a liberal media lie. But nothwistanding all that, I respect your right to not like guns, that is your right, although I feel a lot of your hate is because you don’t understand them, or listen to the media trashing all the time. But agin, I am not trashing you, that is your right.
        My problem is with the people trying to take away my right. Not saying you are, but it is my right to own and defend my family.

• kopy - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Or stories like Sean Taylor’s of the Redskins, who was unarmed and fatally shot in his home by a burglar while his girlfriend and kid were hiding under a bed. Successful people are always targets of burglaries, and sometimes burglaries go wrong.

I personally don’t know if I’d keep a gun in my house (too young to have a family), but it’s not hard to understand why someone would.

• thebadguyswon - Apr 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM

That’s fine to hate guns. But you can’t dictate to others that they can’t own them. I know you aren’t saying that, but many that feel like you do want guns banned completely.

• paperlions - Apr 22, 2013 at 5:01 PM

How do you know how I feel about guns?

All I was pointing out was that the guy that got shot STILL would have been shot even if he was packing with a shoulder holster.

By far the most annoying group are the gun owners, who act like asking for a background check is the most horrible invasion of privacy possible…..yes, I find the “ban all guns” people to be annoying as well, but gun owners act like people are seriously threatening their rights to own guns, which is not true at all….they keep bringing up slippery slope arguments. The only time a slippery slope manifests is when they should (e.g. those crazy women wanting to vote and that leading to them having rights and stuff….those crazy black people wanting to not be slaves and that eventually leading to them being treated like humans in most of the country).

• thebadguyswon - Apr 22, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Reply was meant for Delaware

13. APBA Guy - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I think people here in SF will tolerate any of Barry’s hobbies, as they have in the past, as long as he’s throwing shut-outs.

14. stebutt - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:44 AM

If you want a lunatic Barry, it sounds like you should buy a mirror.

15. cur68 - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:48 AM

Why doesn’t he get a good sized dog, if he’s so worried about his family? Knowing how to handle a firearm safely is fine, but thinking having one makes you more safe is asinine. Most B&E’s happen to dogless homes not gunless ones.

16. jm91rs - Apr 22, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I’m pretty sure Barry’s reasoning for having a gun is the exact intention of the 2nd amendment. To say he’s not a target is asinine. Was Sean Taylor an obvious target? Nope, but he died when someone put a bullet in his leg in his bedroom. Apparently a baseball bat wasn’t enough to defend himself. Zito’s probably better with a bat than Taylor, but I don’t like his chances versus a gun.

Yes, he is safer with a gun in his bedroom if someone breaks into his house. His wife is probably familiar with them too. So now what criminal is going to get the idea to break into Zito’s house when he’s on a road trip? Now that we know he has guns, what moron is going to be breaking into his house? He’s a smart dude.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:19 PM

“Was Sean Taylor an obvious target? Nope, but he died when someone put a bullet in his leg in his bedroom. Apparently a baseball bat wasn’t enough to defend himself. Zito’s probably better with a bat than Taylor, but I don’t like his chances versus a gun.”

Yeah…yeah. But let’s not use logic JM. To do so borders on paranoia. The world is a wonderful place…full of equally wonderful people. Bad things do not happen. If they do…there is nothing you can do about it. In fact…there is nothing you can do to increase your chances of a positive outcome. To think otherwise is perposterous.

• malbrecht4 - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:30 PM

@jm91rs…I’m pretty sure Barry’s reasoning for having a gun is the exact intention of the 2nd amendment.

WHAT? You must be a constitutional scholar.

• jm91rs - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:34 PM

So you’re saying the 2nd amendment was not written to allow Americans to protect themselves from those wishing to do them harm? I guess I just assumed it was about a right to defend oneself, but I guess you’re saying that’s not true? Please enlighten me, I’m always up for a lesson.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:38 PM

” So now what criminal is going to get the idea to break into Zito’s house when he’s on a road trip? Now that we know he has guns, what moron is going to be breaking into his house?”

The kind of moronic burglar who wants to steal a gun? Most burglars love finding other people’s weapons.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I don’t know that he is more or less likely to be the victim of Burglary.
        I do that incredibly stupid newspaper company in up-state N.Y. didn’t do anyone any favors by publishing the gun owners and police officers addresses Sandy. Even worse…the bad guys know which residents DON”T have a gun permit. To that end…I would venture to guess a criminal is far more likely to choose a house in which the owners don’t have a means of defending themselves. Be it because they are geriatric, they don’t have a dog OR a firearm.

Most burglars love finding other peoples “stuff” Sandy. It isn’t inclusive to firearms only.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:01 PM

Hey Lou. Burglars are there to burglarize. Most of them aren’t there to rape and murder. That’s why most burglaries occur when no one is home. In fact, the definition of a burglarly is when nobody is around; a robbery is the technical term for a hold-up.

So, in essence, a burglar isn’t looking to cause harm, and wants to grab as much stuff as they can. But the stuff they grab has to worth something on the black market so it can be unloaded. Unloading a gun results in guaranteed money.

As someone who has been around lots of guns has told me, the best gun to have in the home is a shotgun. When loading, it produces a very loud click, and that sound alone will drive a burglar away.

Anyway, and in reference to Skids and NRA stance, as a gun control advocate, I’m not asking that the cops take away your or my neighbors weapons. Consequently, just because I do not want to touch some cold metal, I am not announcing myself to the world as a pussy ready to be pillaged.

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Absolutely Sandy. I agree with the shotgun angle. I have one.
        When that round is chambered…the sound is deafening. Unlike no other.
        I wouldn’t be against mandated classes. At least…I would be willing to listen.
        Can’t argue with training. Be it how to safely operate a forklift, drive a car or shoot a firearm.

• jm91rs - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:45 PM

It is very easy to move a gun, and sadly they often get sold to people that can’t buy them in a legal way. I don’t feel that that should be a legitimate reason that law abiding citizens can not own a gun though. Sadly I know a guy that made some bad decisions and he’s been told by authorities that if the gun he stole and sold ever turns up as being used in a crime he will be charged with something. Not sure if that’s legally true or not, but this guy has turned his life around and I’m pretty sure he’d die if he got a knock on the door from a cop asking about that gun.

Now koufaxmitzvah, even though I sense we’re probably of different opinions politically, I agree with everything you said. More regulation is fine in this area, limiting magazine capacity doesn’t bother me much, the gun show “loophole” is a joke. My issue is that someone like Barry Zito saying he likes shooting guns and keeps one (or more than one) at home to protect himself should not be a problem. But both sides of the argument jump in and say “you don’t need a gun, get a dog” or “you don’t need a pistol, get a fully automatic bazooka”.

Sadly, logic won’t win out as long as the far left and far right have control.

17. sabatimus - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Somebody pass me a bucket. I don’t seem to have one handy *runs to the toilet*.

18. barrywhererufrom - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:38 PM

Are you inferring that Zito’s new found Christian faith is intertwined with owning a gun? It seams like he was asked a question about his hobbies. He said he is now owning a gun and it makes him feel safe if something happens at his home. I know this is so crazy to you that some people actually own them. Sometimes you have get out of your liberal world and realize that your world view is not the only one..if Zito said he smoked weed everyday and liked to get married to Angel Pagan at home plate at Giants home game you would think that is normal. It’s all about perspective..

• chacochicken - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:00 PM

I think Craig specifically doesn’t infer those are correlated. But seriously Pagan has got some sexy forearms.

• 8tenstudios - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:34 PM

LMAO you didnt read it did you? He has a new hobby now that he’s a panty waste born again beLIEver in lies. Zito and his christian ilk disgust me! FYO barrywhereufrom.. The 2nd amendment ONLY applies to those who are in Militia and THEIR presence in necessary for the Free State. Alas we didn’t have police forces when the 2nd amendment was written hence the need for militias. Just a common sense look at the overused misused 2nd amendment. If Zito needs guns to “feel safer” then he isn’t really a man afterall. Pusscake more like it! Guns make you paranoid. Not safer!

He took up guns once he became a born again liar. Lets face it Americans. Religion was made up by a handful of men who thought back some 2000+ years ago when the sheep were much easier to mold than today. But you have sheep like Zito who has forgotten to think for himelf. Religion is the reason the world is at war. Religion is the reason the Christians are trying to conquer the world once again. The Christians are trying to force themselves into every facet of life and if you aren’t christian then you aren’t even human. Those who don’t beLIEve in the lies peddled by ALL religions are the ones who will be standing at the end of your holy war. Good luck religious zealots, whackos and nutjobs. The only difference in Islam and Christianity is the cloak of the uniform they were. Both want to destroy each other. Both hate each others religion. Both have no interest in being “all inclusive” as you Christians think you are. Does anyone on the right remember the Crusades? Learn about!

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:55 PM

We get it 8ten. You choose to close your eyes and hope for the best.
        This is your right. Anyone who tries to take this away from you is just plain wrong.
        Good luck with that fine Sir!

• barrywhererufrom - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:46 PM

8tenstudios..read the GQ article..he never stated that his interest in guns had to do with his religious beliefs. I am glad that the article is not inferring that. But your post tenstudios is so off i think you are probaly still celebrating national pot day in Denver. I know this made up stuff lasting all these years is kind of crazy. People will be talking about Jesus a lot longer than you and I will be around. Let’s toast to another 2000 years of teaching people about peace, love and love for their neighbor. The message never changes but the people who refuse to listen certainly do..so on that note let’s not get confused with some radical religions who teach people that blowing themselves up with as a suicide bomber will get them those 42 Virgins in Heaven. But that is a story for another day. I know that you hate all religions and they are just made up..

• jm91rs - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:59 PM

The big problem with your rant against Christianity is that Zito simply said he was a Christian, while you decided to put down the faith of millions of people. Pretty sure you won’t find any quotes where Barry tells you to go out and become a Christian, or to hate those that aren’t.

I was about halfway through your post and I thought “this nut job thinks the crusades are happening again” and then there it was, a reference to a “war” which ended 700 years ago. I hope you don’t spend too much time worrying about those crazy Christians coming out to get you in a modern day crusade.

There are nut job Christians, nut job muslims, and obviously from reading your posts, nut job Atheists. The loud minority does not in anyway represent the peaceful majority.

• anxovies - Apr 22, 2013 at 7:23 PM

The U.S. Supreme Court disagrees with you about the right to bear arms applying only to those in the militia. See District of Columbia v. Heller, 554 U.S. 570 (2008). The second amendment is based upon pre-existing English law authorizing the possession of firearms for “lawful purposes”and includes the defense of one’s home or person. See Id. 554 U.S. at 625 – 627.

19. Jonny 5 - Apr 22, 2013 at 12:42 PM

God, Guns, and Barry Zito, together in one post? This May garner you the “Evil Troll” award of the day Calcaterra. Good job sir.

20. ezwriter69 - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:38 PM

I have no problem with him being an NRA guy, but if he shoots like he pitches, no one is in danger when he fires except innocent bystanders…

21. gostlcards5 - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:31 PM

“Next month, if there is a God in Heaven who loves us and wants us to be happy, we’ll have the Matt Adams/Billy Butler swimsuit pictorial.”
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————-

On last night’s Cards/Phils telecast, the announcers were talking about Matt Adams having “a body like John Kruk” (of course, Krukie was one of the announcers, which made it hilarious…at least to me).

Point is, Craig, I think your ending would have been more appropriately phrased as “…who loves us and wants us to be laugh our asses off,…”, because there’s NO WAY I want to see that in a swimsuit.

• gostlcards5 - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM

Sorry…cut at the wrong point….

“…who loves us and wants us to laugh our asses off,…”

22. a2tb - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Whenever I learn that someone has become a born-again Christian, my first thought is “Oh, so now he’s an asshole.”

Which isn’t entirely fair. I mean, he might have already been an asshole.

23. dukepatrol - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:26 PM

We all know that guns and Jesus go together

24. headlessthompsongunner - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:56 PM

W W J S

25. js20011041 - Apr 22, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I don’t get born again christianity at all. I can understand having those beliefs if you’re indoctrinated as a child, but how do you look at those ideas as an adult and say, “makes sense to me.”?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5325)
  2. M. Kemp (3152)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2887)
  4. C. McGehee (2883)