Apr 22, 2013, 8:25 PM EDT
According to John Hickey of the San Jose Mercury News, Brandon Moss and Josh Reddick of the Athletics visited a victim of the Boston Marathon bombings prior to their game against the Red Sox this evening. Athletics third base coach Tye Waller also made the trip.
Moss, Reddick, and Waller went to the Boston Children’s Hospital to see 11-year-old Aaron Hern, who is from the Oakland area. Hern was standing near the second blast last Monday while watching his mom run the Marathon. He has already undergone three surgeries as the result of his injuries.
While they went there to put a smile on Hern’s face, Reddick explained that they walked away from the visit genuinely touched by the experience.
“I think we were there to help him forget,” Reddick said. “He had a big smile and to see his face light up when we got there was just tremendous.
“By the time we left, I felt I got more out of it than he did. What happened really put things in perspective.”
Good on you, fellas. The Athletics hope to honor Hern and his family later this summer during a game at the O.co Coliseum.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 41
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 34
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 87
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)