Apr 22, 2013, 9:32 PM EDT
Carlos Ruiz is eligible to return from his 25-game amphetamine suspension on Sunday, but he’ll go out on a brief minor league rehab assignment first.
The Phillies announced this evening that Ruiz will begin a rehab stint tomorrow with High-A Clearwater. The veteran backstop was hit in the left wrist with a pitch last Friday during an extended spring training game, but Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that he was given a clean bill of health following a second set of X-rays.
Ruiz is coming off a career year in which he batted .324/.394/.540 with 16 home runs, 68 RBI and a .935 OPS. The 34-year-old is due to become a free agent after the 2013 season.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (95)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (95)