Apr 22, 2013, 9:32 PM EDT
Carlos Ruiz is eligible to return from his 25-game amphetamine suspension on Sunday, but he’ll go out on a brief minor league rehab assignment first.
The Phillies announced this evening that Ruiz will begin a rehab stint tomorrow with High-A Clearwater. The veteran backstop was hit in the left wrist with a pitch last Friday during an extended spring training game, but Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that he was given a clean bill of health following a second set of X-rays.
Ruiz is coming off a career year in which he batted .324/.394/.540 with 16 home runs, 68 RBI and a .935 OPS. The 34-year-old is due to become a free agent after the 2013 season.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 96
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (97)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)