Major League Baseball taking kids out to see “42”

Apr 22, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT

Robinson 42

But don’t worry, they’ll have them home before curfew:

Major League Baseball and its 30 teams plan to take thousands of teenagers to see the Jackie Robinson film “42.” … Teams will chose students from the eighth grade to the 12th grade in the United States and Canada for private screenings in their cities. Commissioner Bud Selig will host the first showing Tuesday in Milwaukee along with Sharon Robinson, daughter of the player who broke baseball’s color barrier in 1947.

When I went to a preview screening of “42” there were a couple dozen youth baseball players — I assume Babe Ruth level — in uniform in the theater. I assume that was an extension of some sort of marketing initiative aimed at teenagers.  I think the movie would work pretty well in an educational context, actually, given that it’s more or less straight-up without any distracting, invented subplots.  Strong language, yes, but nothing that isn’t historically accurate nor anything teenagers haven’t heard before.

1. mybrunoblog - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Terrific move by MLB. The movie was very good and I think the kids will enjoy it and learn a lesson.
    Unfortunately Uncle Bud will probably ask the kids to kick in to pay for the popcorn and snacks while he sneaks in a twix bar under his toupee.

• foreverchipper10 - Apr 23, 2013 at 12:51 PM

Rick Ankiel can supply the popcorn.

2. jrobitaille23 - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Hmmm…I don’t remember them doing this for Moneyball…or The Natural…Eight Men Out

3. rcali - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I’m going to watch it 42 times! Unless of course MLB retires the right for someone to watch it 42 times.

4. cocheese000 - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:32 PM

NICE CATCH HAYES………DONT EVER FUCKING DO IT AGAIN!

5. hojo20 - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:32 PM

So the kids will be exposed to multiple uses of the “N” word. Nice.

• blabidibla - Apr 22, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Because we should pretend it never happened?

Took my 8 year old. I asked him what he learned watching the film. “Don’t ever call anyone a n*****. “

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win