Meet Labatt Park: the new stadium for the Montreal Expos that never was

Apr 22, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT

Image (1) expos%20logo2.jpg for post 6647

I had forgotten all about this, but Jordan Greenberg tweeted a link to the designs for Labatt Park, the stadium that was proposed by never built for the Montreal Expos.

It’s a pretty sweet looking park. The best part may be the giant mural of Felipe Alou.

It’s so weird to think that this was floating around in 2000 and that the team was still there through the 2004 season. It seems like the Expos were a million years ago now. And at some point they’re going to feel more like a legend than a team that actually existed for 35 years.

1. cur68 - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Jeez. What nice looking park. If I was the blubbering kind, i’d be getting all teary about this.

Fuckin’ Loria….

• Old Gator - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:58 PM

And just think – if they had built it, maybe John Henry might have sold the Feesh to someone else and Scrooge McLoria would still own the Expos!

Well? Well???

• bigleagues - Apr 22, 2013 at 5:58 PM

2002 was an inside bob.

Selig orchestrated it.

Clearly.

That stadium was never getting built (it didn’t even have a dome?).

Expos fans were sold out so Henry/Loria could get a pay out and MLB could bolster its presence in one of the largest NA markets. End of story.

2. southpaw2k - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:24 PM

The Expos have technically not existed for 8 years, and their logo still looks like the letters E, L, and B blended together to me. Gotta be the most nonsensical logo in the history of sports.

• koufaxmitzvah - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:48 PM

It is an ELB. I believe they are the initials of the original owner.

I miss those Expos. The Red, White, and Blue of Canada.

• southpaw2k - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Wow, I thought someone once told me it was supposed to be an M, which I never noticed until it was pointed out.

• wlschneider09 - Apr 22, 2013 at 9:42 PM

It’s EMB, not ELB, for Expos de Montreal Baseball. The M is hard to make out as it merges with the lower case b.

• wlschneider09 - Apr 22, 2013 at 9:45 PM

Of course if I actually read the rest of the thread before opening my big yap I would have seen that someone else with better qualifications had already answered this.

3. bolweevils2 - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I miss the Expos.

4. yanmontreal - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I leave in Montréal and i can tell you one thing,we still love Baseball here,and we still beleive it could work.I want to say that we feel sorry for the city of Miami,we know how you feel right now about the two clowns Loria and Samson.

Go expos, have a good baseball season guys

5. vanmorrissey - Apr 22, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Like it but you might want to put a lid on it due to weather, especially in April and if they would ever get to playoffs or WS, late October, November….brrrrr! But hey, add them to Nat Lg east again and you don’t get interleague every day.

6. joefarfsing11 - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:07 PM

E L B equals expos le baseball. (or however you spell baseball in French)

7. asimonetti88 - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Much better than the dump Loria ended up building in SoFla

8. yanmontreal - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:24 PM

You were close my friend,YES it is in french and it means..
    Expos Montréal baseball for EMB

By the way i’m from Montréal, and weather is no excuses,we have the sameone that Boston Have.

9. MyTeamsAllStink - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:28 PM

I still believe Selig was in on the conspiracy to bring Washington baseball by sabotaging baseball in Montreal.Sort of like how David Stern is secretly working to sabotage basketball in Sacramento.Who knows but everyone loves a good conspiracy

• jaguar0413 - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:41 PM

In on it? He led it. Did you forget that Selig tried to contract the Twins and Expos in 2002. It is only because of the Twins lease at the Metrodome that both teams still exist. (I’m not complaining since it got my Nats to DC).

MLB destroyed the Expos in every way, shape and form after the finagled deal with John Henry and Jeffrey Loria. Once MLB owned the team and appointed Omar Minaya as Expos GM, they robbed a great farm system of all of its talent. MLB mad the worst/most unfair trade ever made in 2003:

Bartolo Colon for Lee Stevens, Brandon Phillips and a couple of prospects named Grady Sizemore and Cliff Lee.

Can you imagine how good either the Expos or Nats would have been in 2006-07 with a Cy Young pitcher and multiple all star 2B and CF. The kicker is that MLB wouldn’t even let the Expos resign Colon the next year. What a waste. Instead they set the franchise back at least 7 years until the Desmond, Strasburg, Detwiler, Harper prospects came through.

• 18thstreet - Apr 22, 2013 at 5:31 PM

Bowden would have screwed up it.

10. kiss604 - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:36 PM

It’s not “elb”, it’s a stylized “M” with an “e” on the left part and a “b” on the right part.

11. tc4306 - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Montreal is one of the most vibrant, exciting and enjoyable cities in North America. What could be better than a downtown stadium in that fantastic city?

Would love to see them back in MLB.

The AL East would be perfect. They have a natural rivalry with Toronto over all things Canadian and a big hockey rivalry with Boston. Montreal would draw from both Vermont and upstate New York. Yankees travel well and New Yorkers would love downtown Montreal. No way a Montreal team in the AL East would be anything but a huge success.

• jaguar0413 - Apr 22, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Plus, and most importantly, the economics of having a team in Montreal have changed since 2004. The exchange rate between the US Dollar and Canadian Dollar is almost even meaning that a Montreal team could compete profit wise. I think it would be awesome if Montreal got a team again. If they continue to struggle to either build a new stadium and/or draw fans, maybe Montreal could get the Rays. Then nothing would have to change division wise or expansion wise.

• thebadguyswon - Apr 22, 2013 at 4:38 PM

I would LOVE to see the Rays move there. MLB in Florida is not going to succeed anywhere. Get out and bring them somewhere where fans will support the team.

12. thebadguyswon - Apr 22, 2013 at 3:31 PM

I live in northern NY state. I used to tend bar at a restaurant frequented by Montrealers. They would tell me all the time that if the park was open air and located downtown it would draw. Their reasoning was that people were walking around downtown every night of the week and would be apt to stop in and catch a game. Olympic Stadium was depressing and out of the way.

I used to love going to Expos games. MLB was one hour from my house. Now, I have to plan a trip to go see baseball.

Loria is a piece of excrement.

13. umrguy42 - Apr 22, 2013 at 4:02 PM

Okay, I like a lot of the looks of it… but the dirt “bulge” behind home plate just looks too big to me, and there’s *no* room in foul territory past the bases – is that really such a good idea?

14. amhendrick - Apr 22, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I’ve always been surprised at the nostalgia for the Expos among the more sabermetric-friendly baseball sites. The way the franchise was treated by MLB was awful, and I am in sympathy with the city and fans of the Expos for that. But the team itself? I remember them as a mostly nondescript team playing in a terrible stadium. I really don’t miss them.

15. moogro - Apr 22, 2013 at 5:29 PM

The light towers are nice.

16. MyTeamsAllStink - Apr 22, 2013 at 6:16 PM

I just google earthed Montreal I didn’t realize just how far away Olympic Stadium is from downtown!and how god awful ugly it looks.I think baseball deserves another chance there and this time a real chance with a real owner in a real ballpark.

Question:if they somehow did get a team would you still want to call it the Expos or another name?

17. yanmontreal - Apr 22, 2013 at 9:45 PM

There is a lot of talks in Montréal right now for a comeback.There is still a lot to do but at least we talk about it.
    I dont see them comeback before at least another 10 years,but one day i will be there with my 1 year old little boy.

Thanks for all your good word on my city…Montréal

Love Baseball