Apr 22, 2013, 4:03 PM EDT
Jake Arrieta has started 62 games for Baltimore since debuting as a 24-year-old top prospect in 2010, but the Orioles finally decided they couldn’t keep trotting the right-hander and his 5.40 career ERA out there every fifth day.
This season Arrieta’s struggles have included a league-high 16 walks in 19 innings and that got him a trip back to Triple-A at age 27.
Arrieta has shown occasional flashes of potential, but since the beginning of last season he has a 6.26 ERA in 134 innings while allowing 188 total baserunners. He has the raw stuff to succeed, but command and consistently have been huge issues.
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 3
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- Travis Ishikawa sends Giants to World Series on walk-off three-run homer 79
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)