Apr 22, 2013, 4:03 PM EDT
Jake Arrieta has started 62 games for Baltimore since debuting as a 24-year-old top prospect in 2010, but the Orioles finally decided they couldn’t keep trotting the right-hander and his 5.40 career ERA out there every fifth day.
This season Arrieta’s struggles have included a league-high 16 walks in 19 innings and that got him a trip back to Triple-A at age 27.
Arrieta has shown occasional flashes of potential, but since the beginning of last season he has a 6.26 ERA in 134 innings while allowing 188 total baserunners. He has the raw stuff to succeed, but command and consistently have been huge issues.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (156)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)