Apr 22, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
T.J. Quinn and Mike Fish of ESPN.com report that the spokeswoman for Robinson Cano‘s charitable foundation was named in the documents of Biogenesis, the now defunct Miami anti-aging clinic which has launched an investigation by Major League Baseball into players’ alleged use of performance enhancing drugs:
The spokeswoman for Robinson Cano’s foundation is listed as having been a client of the Biogenesis clinic last summer, although she denies having received anything from the clinic and says Cano “definitely never did.”
Major League Baseball, however, has possession of a Biogenesis client roster that lists the spokeswoman, Sonia Cruz, and is investigating whether Cano had any relationship to the clinic, sources familiar with MLB’s investigation told “Outside the Lines”.
Which would normally not be all that important nor would it serve as a reasonable basis for Major League Baseball to pursue its investigation, but guilt-by-association is pretty much all anyone has in this whole shebang, so Cano should probably consider himself in the same crosshairs as everyone else who has thus far been named.
UPDATE: Worth noting, as I neglected to when I posted this a moment ago, that Quinn and Fish’s sources say that Sonia Cruz’s interaction with Biogenesis, as reflected in the records they’ve obtained, is consistent with her claim that she went to Biogenesis for personal weight loss purposes. Which would seem to be pretty relevant here. As they also report, however, Major League Baseball is still investigating Cano all the same.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 23
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)