Apr 22, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
T.J. Quinn and Mike Fish of ESPN.com report that the spokeswoman for Robinson Cano‘s charitable foundation was named in the documents of Biogenesis, the now defunct Miami anti-aging clinic which has launched an investigation by Major League Baseball into players’ alleged use of performance enhancing drugs:
The spokeswoman for Robinson Cano’s foundation is listed as having been a client of the Biogenesis clinic last summer, although she denies having received anything from the clinic and says Cano “definitely never did.”
Major League Baseball, however, has possession of a Biogenesis client roster that lists the spokeswoman, Sonia Cruz, and is investigating whether Cano had any relationship to the clinic, sources familiar with MLB’s investigation told “Outside the Lines”.
Which would normally not be all that important nor would it serve as a reasonable basis for Major League Baseball to pursue its investigation, but guilt-by-association is pretty much all anyone has in this whole shebang, so Cano should probably consider himself in the same crosshairs as everyone else who has thus far been named.
UPDATE: Worth noting, as I neglected to when I posted this a moment ago, that Quinn and Fish’s sources say that Sonia Cruz’s interaction with Biogenesis, as reflected in the records they’ve obtained, is consistent with her claim that she went to Biogenesis for personal weight loss purposes. Which would seem to be pretty relevant here. As they also report, however, Major League Baseball is still investigating Cano all the same.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 43
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process (78)