Apr 22, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
T.J. Quinn and Mike Fish of ESPN.com report that the spokeswoman for Robinson Cano‘s charitable foundation was named in the documents of Biogenesis, the now defunct Miami anti-aging clinic which has launched an investigation by Major League Baseball into players’ alleged use of performance enhancing drugs:
The spokeswoman for Robinson Cano’s foundation is listed as having been a client of the Biogenesis clinic last summer, although she denies having received anything from the clinic and says Cano “definitely never did.”
Major League Baseball, however, has possession of a Biogenesis client roster that lists the spokeswoman, Sonia Cruz, and is investigating whether Cano had any relationship to the clinic, sources familiar with MLB’s investigation told “Outside the Lines”.
Which would normally not be all that important nor would it serve as a reasonable basis for Major League Baseball to pursue its investigation, but guilt-by-association is pretty much all anyone has in this whole shebang, so Cano should probably consider himself in the same crosshairs as everyone else who has thus far been named.
UPDATE: Worth noting, as I neglected to when I posted this a moment ago, that Quinn and Fish’s sources say that Sonia Cruz’s interaction with Biogenesis, as reflected in the records they’ve obtained, is consistent with her claim that she went to Biogenesis for personal weight loss purposes. Which would seem to be pretty relevant here. As they also report, however, Major League Baseball is still investigating Cano all the same.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 11
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)