Apr 22, 2013, 3:31 PM EDT
T.J. Quinn and Mike Fish of ESPN.com report that the spokeswoman for Robinson Cano‘s charitable foundation was named in the documents of Biogenesis, the now defunct Miami anti-aging clinic which has launched an investigation by Major League Baseball into players’ alleged use of performance enhancing drugs:
The spokeswoman for Robinson Cano’s foundation is listed as having been a client of the Biogenesis clinic last summer, although she denies having received anything from the clinic and says Cano “definitely never did.”
Major League Baseball, however, has possession of a Biogenesis client roster that lists the spokeswoman, Sonia Cruz, and is investigating whether Cano had any relationship to the clinic, sources familiar with MLB’s investigation told “Outside the Lines”.
Which would normally not be all that important nor would it serve as a reasonable basis for Major League Baseball to pursue its investigation, but guilt-by-association is pretty much all anyone has in this whole shebang, so Cano should probably consider himself in the same crosshairs as everyone else who has thus far been named.
UPDATE: Worth noting, as I neglected to when I posted this a moment ago, that Quinn and Fish’s sources say that Sonia Cruz’s interaction with Biogenesis, as reflected in the records they’ve obtained, is consistent with her claim that she went to Biogenesis for personal weight loss purposes. Which would seem to be pretty relevant here. As they also report, however, Major League Baseball is still investigating Cano all the same.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)