Apr 22, 2013, 12:01 PM EDT
Rob Neyer asked an all-star cast of baseball writers and thinkers — Allen Barra, Bill James, Bob Costas, Brian Kenny, Don Zminda, John Thorn, Joe Posnanski, Michael Schur, Richard Lally — what the subject matter of the next great baseball movie should be. The answers were all over the place, but most of them struck me as pretty darn good.
I’m sort of in Schur’s camp: we need a funny baseball movie. Something light. We’ve sorta been crushed by a lot of history in the past several notable baseball movies. I think it’s time for wacky. Which is hard because you have to keep the essence of baseball in there too, which can’t be easy. And with “Major League” or “Bull Durham” out there as near perfect examples of the form, it’s hard to match up to what came before.
Still, tell me you wouldn’t see most of these movies.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 8
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 55
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)