Apr 22, 2013, 12:01 PM EDT
Rob Neyer asked an all-star cast of baseball writers and thinkers — Allen Barra, Bill James, Bob Costas, Brian Kenny, Don Zminda, John Thorn, Joe Posnanski, Michael Schur, Richard Lally — what the subject matter of the next great baseball movie should be. The answers were all over the place, but most of them struck me as pretty darn good.
I’m sort of in Schur’s camp: we need a funny baseball movie. Something light. We’ve sorta been crushed by a lot of history in the past several notable baseball movies. I think it’s time for wacky. Which is hard because you have to keep the essence of baseball in there too, which can’t be easy. And with “Major League” or “Bull Durham” out there as near perfect examples of the form, it’s hard to match up to what came before.
Still, tell me you wouldn’t see most of these movies.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 21
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- 2015 Preview: Pittsburgh Pirates 12
- 2015 Preview: San Diego Padres 22
- MLB is looking into some strange gambling tweets involving Marlins pitcher Jarred Cosart 46
- 2015 Preview: New York Yankees 63
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras (76)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (75)