Apr 22, 2013, 12:01 PM EDT
Rob Neyer asked an all-star cast of baseball writers and thinkers — Allen Barra, Bill James, Bob Costas, Brian Kenny, Don Zminda, John Thorn, Joe Posnanski, Michael Schur, Richard Lally — what the subject matter of the next great baseball movie should be. The answers were all over the place, but most of them struck me as pretty darn good.
I’m sort of in Schur’s camp: we need a funny baseball movie. Something light. We’ve sorta been crushed by a lot of history in the past several notable baseball movies. I think it’s time for wacky. Which is hard because you have to keep the essence of baseball in there too, which can’t be easy. And with “Major League” or “Bull Durham” out there as near perfect examples of the form, it’s hard to match up to what came before.
Still, tell me you wouldn’t see most of these movies.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 38
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)