Apr 23, 2013, 10:35 PM EDT
Adam Wainwright is on some sort of mission.
The 31-year-old right-hander was absolutely locked in on Tuesday evening in the nation’s capital, striking out nine batters and allowing only one walk and five hits over 8 1/3 scoreless frames against a Nationals team that carries 2013 World Series aspirations.
Waino now boasts a 1.93 ERA, 0.99 WHIP and 37/1 K/BB ratio through 37 1/3 innings this season. He already has one shutout, and nearly notched his second tonight but skipper Mike Matheny opted to have Edward Mujica close out the 2-0 victory.
The Cardinals must be relieved that they were able to sign Wainwright to an extension before the start of the regular season. And his five-year, $97.5 million deal is looking like a pretty good bargain early on.
Wainwright will take on the division-rival Reds at Busch Stadium next time out.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 78
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 125
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (125)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)