Apr 23, 2013, 10:35 PM EDT
Adam Wainwright is on some sort of mission.
The 31-year-old right-hander was absolutely locked in on Tuesday evening in the nation’s capital, striking out nine batters and allowing only one walk and five hits over 8 1/3 scoreless frames against a Nationals team that carries 2013 World Series aspirations.
Waino now boasts a 1.93 ERA, 0.99 WHIP and 37/1 K/BB ratio through 37 1/3 innings this season. He already has one shutout, and nearly notched his second tonight but skipper Mike Matheny opted to have Edward Mujica close out the 2-0 victory.
The Cardinals must be relieved that they were able to sign Wainwright to an extension before the start of the regular season. And his five-year, $97.5 million deal is looking like a pretty good bargain early on.
Wainwright will take on the division-rival Reds at Busch Stadium next time out.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (111)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)