Apr 23, 2013, 10:35 PM EDT
Adam Wainwright is on some sort of mission.
The 31-year-old right-hander was absolutely locked in on Tuesday evening in the nation’s capital, striking out nine batters and allowing only one walk and five hits over 8 1/3 scoreless frames against a Nationals team that carries 2013 World Series aspirations.
Waino now boasts a 1.93 ERA, 0.99 WHIP and 37/1 K/BB ratio through 37 1/3 innings this season. He already has one shutout, and nearly notched his second tonight but skipper Mike Matheny opted to have Edward Mujica close out the 2-0 victory.
The Cardinals must be relieved that they were able to sign Wainwright to an extension before the start of the regular season. And his five-year, $97.5 million deal is looking like a pretty good bargain early on.
Wainwright will take on the division-rival Reds at Busch Stadium next time out.
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 0
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 17
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 42
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 20
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)