Apr 23, 2013, 8:53 AM EDT
The Braves’ right fielder is gonna take some time off after having an emergency appendectomy last night in Denver. No other details apart from the fact of the surgery were released by the team.
A couple of players have had in-season appendectomies relatively recently: Matt Holliday and Adam Dunn. Holliday missed about ten games, Dunn six. Holliday was fine, Dunn took some time to get his groove, such as it is, back. They do these things laproscopically now, so it’s not terribly invasive.
And frankly, Heyward could use a break as he’s been struggling something fierce at the plate. No word on how long he’ll be out, but I’d assume the Braves will DL him and let Evan Gattis play some left field while Heyward recuperates.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 87
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 229
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (229)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (104)