Apr 23, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
Here’s the confirmation from the Tigers’ official Twitter account:
Valverde will be with the club in Detroit tomorrow and manager Jim Leyland says he will be the team’s closer.
— Detroit Tigers (@tigers) April 23, 2013
Valverde was a mess in last year’s playoffs, drew very little interest on the free agent market this winter and has not appeared above High-A ball since signing a minor league contract with the Tigers on April 4. But none of that apparently matters to Leyland and the Tigers. Joaquin Benoit will return to a setup role.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 64
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 64
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 23
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 62
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29