Apr 23, 2013, 8:14 PM EDT
Here’s the confirmation from the Tigers’ official Twitter account:
Valverde will be with the club in Detroit tomorrow and manager Jim Leyland says he will be the team’s closer.
— Detroit Tigers (@tigers) April 23, 2013
Valverde was a mess in last year’s playoffs, drew very little interest on the free agent market this winter and has not appeared above High-A ball since signing a minor league contract with the Tigers on April 4. But none of that apparently matters to Leyland and the Tigers. Joaquin Benoit will return to a setup role.
- Jon Niese bristles at the media reporting Dan Warthen’s racial slur — and I sorta understand why 36
- Jimmy Rollins on Ryne Sandberg: “Everyone is allowed to have their opinion. That doesn’t make it right.” 72
- Smart money on Hanley Ramirez, Jay Bruce in prop bets 24
- 2014 Preview: Kansas City Royals 17
- Kris Medlen expects to have another Tommy John surgery 13
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (104)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (102)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (92)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (89)