Apr 23, 2013, 8:14 PM EST
Here’s the confirmation from the Tigers’ official Twitter account:
Valverde will be with the club in Detroit tomorrow and manager Jim Leyland says he will be the team’s closer.
— Detroit Tigers (@tigers) April 23, 2013
Valverde was a mess in last year’s playoffs, drew very little interest on the free agent market this winter and has not appeared above High-A ball since signing a minor league contract with the Tigers on April 4. But none of that apparently matters to Leyland and the Tigers. Joaquin Benoit will return to a setup role.
- Jose Iglesias, with an extended aside about cheeseburger and burrito stats 0
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 4
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 29
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86