Apr 23, 2013, 8:14 PM EST
Here’s the confirmation from the Tigers’ official Twitter account:
Valverde will be with the club in Detroit tomorrow and manager Jim Leyland says he will be the team’s closer.
— Detroit Tigers (@tigers) April 23, 2013
Valverde was a mess in last year’s playoffs, drew very little interest on the free agent market this winter and has not appeared above High-A ball since signing a minor league contract with the Tigers on April 4. But none of that apparently matters to Leyland and the Tigers. Joaquin Benoit will return to a setup role.
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 234
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 160
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (234)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (100)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)