Apr 23, 2013, 9:41 AM EST
Last week Padres CEO Tom Garfinkel ruffled more than a few feathers when a recording of him comparing Zack Greinke to “Rain Man” surfaced. It showed insensitivity to both those with social anxiety disorder, like Greinke. It also showed insensitivity to those with and those caring for people with autism, who have to deal with “Rain Man” stereotyping pretty constantly.
Garfinkel had apologized even before the furor began. But as Maury Brown notes, Garfinkel has gone the extra mile here, showing genuine remorse for his comments and being a pretty darn standup guy about it all. Maury, by the way, has a special interest in this — and was among the harshest critics of Garfinkel last week — as he has a child on the autism spectrum. Even knowing him a little bit and/or following him on Twitter, you get a pretty good idea of how challenging raising an autistic child can be, so you can understand why he was particularly irked among baseball writers.
Everyone makes mistakes. These days everyone apologizes for them. Rare it is, however, that you see apologies in human terms which evince genuine regret over those mistakes. Good on Garfinkel for doing so.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 48
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)