Apr 23, 2013, 1:00 PM EDT
The Tigers bullpen continues to be a mess, so it looks like they’re going back to Plan A: using Bruce Rondon. At least if the International League transaction wire is to be believed, because it notes that he was recalled today.
Rondon has pitched seven and two-thirds innings for Toledo so far this year and hasn’t given up any runs while allowing five hits. He has struck out nine and walked two. Maybe that means the Tigers have new confidence in him. Maybe it’s just that Detroit has played multiple extra innings games lately and Jim Leyland needs another option besides using Phil Coke for three innings like he did on Sunday.
Either way, it’s Rondon time.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 44
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter passes Carl Yastrzemski for seventh on all-time hits list 60
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence 91
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 29
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 45
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 24
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 10
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (95)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)