They might play baseball in Minnesota and Colorado today

Apr 23, 2013, 11:02 AM EDT

In Denver, they’ve been shoveling:

In Minneapolis, they’ve been hosing the seats off with hot water.

Doubleheaders in both ballparks today to make up for yesterday’s freeze-outs.  The reporters on the scene and weather reports suggest that they may actually happen.

1. billyboots - Apr 23, 2013 at 11:21 AM

My cousin lives in Minneapolis and posted a pic this morning with four inches of snow on their deck. That, combined with a high of 40F today, should make for a good day to sell hot chocolate and coffee at the ol’ ballpark.

• sabatimus - Apr 23, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Well at least the temperatures might not refreeze the hot water to the seats.

• klbader - Apr 23, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Given the winter we have had here in Minnesota, 40 degrees and sunny doesn’t even seem cold anymore. It’s going to seem cold for the players though.

2. kander013 - Apr 23, 2013 at 11:34 AM

We’re just tougher here in Minnesota than the rest of the country, especially Ohio. End of story.

• whatthehellisansky - Apr 23, 2013 at 12:13 PM

yeah those 30 years in the metrodome playing in 75 degrees really hardened you guys up

• billyboots - Apr 23, 2013 at 2:16 PM

It was actually 68F, thank you very much.

3. yahmule - Apr 23, 2013 at 11:46 AM

There’s no reason not to play in Colorado today. The snow ended a few hours ago.

• sportsfanjay - Apr 23, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Not sure where you’re at yahmule, But as I look out my window in Lakewood, about 12 minutes from the ballpark, it’s still snowing, and cold as crap. My phone says 19 degrees.

• mondogarage - Apr 23, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I’m working downtown and my phone app says 34 degrees. Sadly I’m too busy to cut out for game 1, but I’ll be at the nightcap…

Oh, and only in Denver can two storms adding up to two feet cost only 1 game to be made up later in the season, so suck it everyone who bitched about Denver not having a retractable room yesterday.

I’ll be sitting down RF line with a beautiful direct view of the sun setting behind freshly snow covered Rocky Mountains tonight, while you’re looking at the inside of a steel framed roof structure.

• Old Gator - Apr 23, 2013 at 2:43 PM

There’s no reason not to play in Minnesota either, except for who’s playing.

4. albertmn - Apr 23, 2013 at 11:51 AM

They will play in MN today. They spent all night clearing snow off the field. Supposed to be around 38 degrees at the start of both games. Definitely cold, but playable.

• Ben - Apr 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM

No word yet on a free hot chocolate. That’s the deciding factor for me.

• historiophiliac - Apr 23, 2013 at 12:10 PM

Is it bring your own marshmallows or do they kick that in too?

• Ben - Apr 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Unclear. But who am I to look a gift hot chocolate in the mouth?
        Baseball tickets for nothin’ and your hot chocolate for free.

• Old Gator - Apr 23, 2013 at 2:46 PM

You can’t carry marshmallows near the canals in Macondo. Alligators love them.

5. chacochicken - Apr 23, 2013 at 12:18 PM

In my day, we played baseball in 2 feet of snow…uphill…both ways.

6. randygnyc - Apr 23, 2013 at 1:05 PM

Isn’t the field heated there. I thought I read somewhere that there’s hot water piping underneath the sod. The fans can always bundle up, leave or stay home. No one wants the players getting hurt on cement hard or slippery surfaces.

• jwbiii - Apr 23, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Yes, Target Field is heated.

7. kevinbnyc - Apr 23, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Where is that freeloading mascott!?!?!

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet