Why am I watching this Braves-Rockies game?

Apr 23, 2013, 4:32 PM EDT

Atlanta Braves v Colorado Rockies Getty Images

It was 23 degrees for the first pitch of the Braves-Rockies game. It’s the coldest game on record at Coors Field. And it’s the first of a day-night doubleheader. Guys are slaughtering tauntauns out there just to keep warm in between pitches.

In the fourth inning B.J. Upton struck out on a 64 m.p.h. pitch from Jeff Francis. Seconds later Chip Caray, referring to a home run by Evan Gattis — whose nickname is El Oso Blanco — said Gattis hit one “un-BEAR-ably” far.

I love my job and I love the fact that it allows me to sit here and watch baseball at 4:30 on a Tuesday afternoon, but man, this is pretty painful at the moment. Even with my team in the lead.

1. yahmule - Apr 23, 2013 at 4:36 PM

The Marlins and Twins are on.

• geoknows - Apr 23, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Eh, they are between games now.

2. bsplaincs - Apr 23, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Oh sorry I just stopped in to use the bathroom…… “Winning”

3. sabatimus - Apr 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Wow. And we thought hitting a baseball with an aluminum bat hurt like hell…

4. jtpercell - Apr 23, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Maybe you’re watching this game because these two teams have the two best records in baseball?

I did laugh at this: “Guys are slaughtering tauntauns out there just to keep warm in between pitches.”

5. alang3131982 - Apr 23, 2013 at 4:42 PM

because you’re paid to write about baseball and there is baseball on and you like baseball?

6. qcubed3 - Apr 23, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Guys are slaughtering tauntauns out there just to keep warm in between pitches?

I did have my suspicions that J.Up was a Jedi . . .

7. heyblueyoustink - Apr 23, 2013 at 4:48 PM

Are you wearing your fresh new Bryce Harper opening day jersey, Craiggy me boy!

8. El Bravo - Apr 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM

…and I thought they smelled bad….on the outside….

9. xmatt0926x - Apr 23, 2013 at 4:55 PM

My biggest shock was BJ Upton striking out. Now that’s rare…

10. sportsdrenched - Apr 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Because baseball in 23* weather is better than anything else on TV?

• Roger Moore - Apr 23, 2013 at 5:46 PM

Pretty much. Even crappy baseball played in 23°F weather (and presumably colder tonight) beats no baseball at all.

11. ezthinking - Apr 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM

In the stands or on TV? If on TV, judging by the time quoted, why bitch about the weather?

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 23, 2013 at 7:22 PM

It’s supposed to be spring. Show me winter weather on TV now and I’ll be less than happy, too.

12. illegalblues - Apr 23, 2013 at 5:19 PM

chip carey is the bear from persona 4. shoulda guessed this already

13. nbjays - Apr 23, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Not surprising guys are striking out in that weather. Take a guy from the warmth of Atlanta and stick him in 23°F weather in the mountains and everything slo-o-o-o-ws down. That 64 mph pitch probably looked like a 95 mph heater to their shocked metabolisms.

14. GoneYickitty - Apr 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM

I’ve never seen a game before this where there were fewer fans than players! OMG cold.

15. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Apr 23, 2013 at 7:12 PM

……. because baseball beats the hell out of watching anything else on TV at 4:30 in the afternoon and I assume hitting the bong and watching old cartoons is no longer a viable option for you?

16. hushbrother - Apr 24, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Earlier Chip called Upton’s homer a “frozen rope.” I laughed …

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2943)