Alfedo Aceves: “why don’t we hit?”

Apr 24, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT

Oakland Athletics v Boston Red Sox Getty Images

Alfredo Aceves gave up eight runs in three and a third innings while walking four. So I’m sure this comment about Bartolo Colon getting calls he didn’t get and the Sox’ lack of offense was well-received by his teammates:

“Maybe his strike zone is not that small, for whatever reason,” Aceves said. “Also, we got our hacks. Why don’t we hit?”

1. urfinished - Apr 24, 2013 at 8:30 AM

“Last night was probably his last start as John Lackey is poised to come off the disabled list. I’m struggling to think of anyone who might have a particular problem with that.”

Well you haven’t seen Lackey pitch yet this year. A lot of people will soon have a problem with that.

2. riverace19 - Apr 24, 2013 at 8:59 AM

When Lackey rejoins the Sox he will reclaim his title of worst starter in the American League.

3. wilkisoft - Apr 24, 2013 at 8:59 AM

Actually, we have seen Lackey pitch this year. Albeit, only 4 innings, but Lackey’s 4 ERA looks better than that of Aceves 8 ERA. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a a fan of Lackey, but if I have to choose between the lesser of two evils, Aceves would NOT be my choice.

4. paperlions - Apr 24, 2013 at 9:09 AM

According to PitchFX, Aceves got more favorable calls than Colon and the umpire did a pretty solid job of calling balls and strikes.

I really have no idea why the RS still have this guy around. When a players regularly acts like he just doesn’t give a shit, you send him packing….especially when he also sucks.

• historiophiliac - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:05 AM

Maybe he’s gritty.

• ltzep75 - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:31 AM

“Mr. Cherington, Keven Towers is on line two.”

• bigleagues - Apr 24, 2013 at 12:01 PM

Yeah, it’s got to be close to being over for Aceves in Boston. The novelty has worn off.

5. deathmonkey41 - Apr 24, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Do you mean besides Yankees fans?

6. xpensivewinos - Apr 24, 2013 at 9:21 AM

Considering the great lengths the Red Sox went to in order to establish a “25 guys pulling in the same direction” mentality with this team, it’s unbelievable Aceves is still there. With Lackey you can understand, big contract, hurt, couldn’t even give him away, but did they think getting rid of Valentine was going to make Aceves less of a douche, a better teammate or fit in better within the team structure?

• 18thstreet - Apr 24, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Yeah, I don’t get it. They only signed him to a one-year contract ($2.65M), but given the expectation that this was a bridge year, he just doesn’t seem to fit in with what they’re doing.

Most pitchers don’t like to be bounced around from spot starter to long reliever to one inning guy. Wakefield complained about it, too — and everyone thinks he’s a great guy. Aceves seems uniquely ill-suited for the job.

• ltzep75 - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Perhaps this is why Bard was called up.

7. coloradostupid - Apr 24, 2013 at 9:25 AM

The man is so humble, isn’t he? It’s everyone else’s fault. Makes perfect sense in his mind, I’m sure.

8. 18thstreet - Apr 24, 2013 at 9:34 AM

A good Red Sox beat writer said this:

FWIW, thought Aceves’ “Why didn’t we hit” was a “That’s baseball. It happens” rhetorical thing. But I’m not the best at interpreting him.— Tim Britton (@TimBritton) April 24, 2013

9. hittfamily - Apr 24, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Oh my god. I just realized it. Alfredo Aceves is Leon!!!

“There’s no I in team”
    “Yeah, well there ain’t no we either”

10. hittfamily - Apr 24, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Oh my god. I just realized it. Alfredo Aceves is Leon!!!

“There’s no I in team”
    “Yeah, well there ain’t no we either”

• ltzep75 - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:34 AM

Wow. The rare double post containing a double post within the posts themselves.

• hittfamily - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:43 AM

Wow is right. HBT suffered a meltdown. I did not do this.

• 18thstreet - Apr 24, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Let’s all take a moment to remember where we were when this happened (says the guy who double posted a tweet).

11. Walk - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Quick boston fans take to twitter and praise aceves gritty comments and play style. Perhaps the dbacks are not done hunting snipe, oops I mean grit.

12. APBA Guy - Apr 24, 2013 at 12:48 PM

Aceves was hitting the paint in the first two innings, but starting in the 3rd his ball was 4 inches off the plate, far enough that the ump had to call it a ball, despite the poor playing conditions (cold, damp, windy.)

Colon was probably handed the cup after the game, as he was his usual accurate self, but his velo in the cold was an impressive 92-93. Unlike Aceves, Colon maintained his command throughout the game. The Sox proved they can hammer poor pitching the day before, in similarly unfavorable conditions, when Griffin only had his fastball, but left that pitch over the plate far too often. Colon made very few mistakes.

13. uyf1950 - Apr 24, 2013 at 12:53 PM

A couple of months back I believe a posted here on HBT that Aceves was a “cancer” in the locker room and many fans much to my surprise jumped all over that comment. But seriously is there any thinking fan here, that today can argue with that assessment of Aceves tenure of late as a Red Sox?

• stlouis1baseball - Apr 24, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I remember it well UYF. I also remember me being one of the very few who agreed with you 100%. Dude obviously needs a good ole’ fashioned ass whipping.

14. stlouis1baseball - Apr 24, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Why is it everytime I see or hear Alfedo Aceves I want to punch him in the mouth?
    I mean…I am not an overtly violent person. I don’t hold ill will towards anyone.
    Well…anyone not named Alfedo Aceves apparantly. Something about the dude grates on me.
    If I were a Red Sox fan I would bust this dudes balls unmercifully every game I attended.
    Prior to the game while he is shagging fly balls…while he is in the bullpen…when he takes the mound…when he leaves the mound…when he walks to, from and around the dugout. Always.

15. insidefastball - Apr 24, 2013 at 2:24 PM

The Sox did a very nice job getting rid of most of the problem children on last year’s roster. Aceves is the exception. His attitude and toxic personality scream “release me.”

16. 13arod - Apr 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM

why didn’t you pitch

17. vallewho - Apr 24, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I don’t remember Ace being such a dumbass when he was with the NYY.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3021)