Apr 24, 2013, 2:00 PM EST
Iran has baseball. And a national team. I did not know this. But now, thanks to John Fitzgerald at Baseball United, I do.
John interviewed the coach of the Iranian national team and learned that they’ve been playing baseball in Iran for almsot 20 years. It’s still an extremely niche sport — its Unites States associations aren’t anywhere near as problematic for it as the fact that it is not soccer — but they’ve been playing in some international tournaments against mostly south Asian teams. They even have a Facebook page.
And then there is the video montage, set to Blur because, well, why not?
Cool stuff. Support baseball’s takeover of the world.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 33
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)