Apr 24, 2013, 2:00 PM EDT
Iran has baseball. And a national team. I did not know this. But now, thanks to John Fitzgerald at Baseball United, I do.
John interviewed the coach of the Iranian national team and learned that they’ve been playing baseball in Iran for almsot 20 years. It’s still an extremely niche sport — its Unites States associations aren’t anywhere near as problematic for it as the fact that it is not soccer — but they’ve been playing in some international tournaments against mostly south Asian teams. They even have a Facebook page.
And then there is the video montage, set to Blur because, well, why not?
Cool stuff. Support baseball’s takeover of the world.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)