Carl Crawford on Boston: “I don’t think I smiled in two years”

Apr 24, 2013, 2:30 PM EDT

Carl Crawford

If you think the Rangers beat writers can’t let things go, get a load of Carl Crawford talking to Paul White of USA Today about the sadz he had in Boston:

“I don’t think I smiled in two years,” the Dodgers outfielder tells USA TODAY Sports of his time on a troubled team in Boston. “I was just frowning, I started growing grey hairs on my face from the stress and everything for two years straight”

As the pic to the right suggests, he’s not being totally honest here. He was smiling pretty damn big when the Red Sox gave him that nine-figure deal.

Anyway, I’m picturing a musical montage of sad Crawford set to “Don’t Give Up” by Peter Gabriel or something. I’m also picturing a room full of all the people on the planet who have any real sympathy for Carl Crawford‘s ordeal in Boston. Pretty small room. This is hanging high on the back wall:

source:

Sure, it sucks that he got hurt and stuff, but really Carl, your trials and tribulations were bearable I reckon.

(link via BTF)

1. aceshigh11 - Apr 24, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Man, this guy is just ridiculous.

Gray hair from the stress?? Wow.

2. anderscorey - Apr 24, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I wouldn’t smile either if as a leadoff hitter my OBP was .289 with all of my stats cutting in half except for strike outs. The dude keeps blaming the Boston media for calling him out because he was awful. Did he want them to lie and say he was playing great? Sorry he wasn’t in Tampa where nobody would have known the difference. You sign with Boston you know what you are getting into. You played against them 20 times a year for nine years and you didn’t know their media was brutal? ha. fyi carl, those grey hairs are because you got a nine figure contract and you played like garbage. be a man and take the blame, it’s your own fault.

3. El Bravo - Apr 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Yeah but v 1.2 is out and doesn’t have the blue screen of death. That one may be more reliable b/c it never crash…err wait…shit….it just froz

abort/retry/fail

4. kjericho43 - Apr 24, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Holy shit. Will that dude ever shut up about this?

Best.
    Trade.
    Ever.

5. 13arod - Apr 24, 2013 at 2:48 PM

i wouldn’t be happy if i was playing for the red sox either

6. blingslade - Apr 24, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Man, I wish I had the ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY TWO MILLION DOLLAR frown that Carl Crawford has.

The Dodgers are screwed – What a freakin’ D-Bag.

7. crispybasil - Apr 24, 2013 at 2:49 PM

If I was in the middle of guaranteed $142 million contract, I wouldn’t take the blame for anything, either, because I’d be filthy rich. That being said, I was overjoyed when Boston shipped Carl out of a town as throw-in for Gonzalez/Beckett/Punto.

• shaggylocks - Apr 24, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Hell, I’d pay someone to take the blame for me.

8. raysfan1 - Apr 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM

I was sorry when he left the Rays, sorry that he got hurt, and hope he can fully bounce back in LA. However, I’m glad he was gone the last two years and not hurting the Rays by being expected to be there but injured instead like he did with the Sox. Point by anderscory well taken in that Crawford really should have known what the Boston media was like before signing with them anyway since the Sox and Rays are division rivals. He knew and took the money knowing what he was getting into. I wish him well, but he gets no sympathy from me.

9. nineroutsider - Apr 24, 2013 at 2:56 PM

Good thing that LA is content just to make the big splash and tote around Magic Johnson or he’d be well on his way to going gray giving what’s gong on down there in the early part of this season. But it’s not Boston so enjoy the sunshine and another Giants division crown.

10. roverboy1949 - Apr 24, 2013 at 2:58 PM

It’s OK, Carl. None of us were smiling watching you “play” either. I’m glad they shipped you and your splinters in your ass to the Dodgers. How much did you make per game you actually played for the Red Sox? Quit crying about it, take your money, and shut your pie hole.

• El Bravo - Apr 24, 2013 at 3:02 PM

MMMM PIE!

• raysfan1 - Apr 24, 2013 at 4:42 PM

Cake is better than pie.

• historiophiliac - Apr 24, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Yeah, if you’re at a Baptist wedding where you can’t get bread pudding.

11. capone2510 - Apr 24, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Hey Carl, $142 million. Now shut the F%$# up!

12. kingscourt25 - Apr 24, 2013 at 3:04 PM

To be fair, Crawford says pretty accountable in this other article by Jerry Cransick: http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/9203862/early-signs-all-positive-los-angeles-dodgers-carl-crawford

“Those two years, man, everything that could possibly go wrong, went wrong,” he says. “What are the chances of that happening? I don’t really know what to say, because you can’t make excuses or nothing. You just have to take everything that comes at you.”

13. conjecture101 - Apr 24, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I love this type of article because of the reaction it causes. Comment sections are swarmed by people who got cut from High School teams, or perhaps some of them from their Little League team, who feel better after taking their lifelong frustration out on a multimillionaire who either has ability or work ethic they could never dream of having. Dislike if you agree.

• anderscorey - Apr 24, 2013 at 3:10 PM

like yourself?

• bjoe23 - Apr 24, 2013 at 3:28 PM

Says the guy who is begging for a response from that very same comment section. What does being talented at baseball have anything to do with liking and watching it? Nothing. And to say that about everyone on here is completely ignorant since you would fall into the same category. Because if you had any ability or work ethic like you claim no one else does you would not be on here either so shut up.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 24, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I love people bagging on others for bagging on athletes because the athletes are better at the sport they play as a profession than the people criticizing them. It makes sense.

Unless, you know….you actually put thought into it.

I’m not a plumber. Any professional plumber should be a better plumber than me.

But if I hire someone to plumb my house, and everytime I flush a toilet shit explodes out of the kitchen sink and splatters on the ceiling…..well, can I say “That guy was a terrible fucking plumber” or will some raging asshole like you come along and say “Hey, it’s better than YOU could do”?

• conjecture101 - Apr 24, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Not even close bro. If Carl Crawford was the baseball equivalent of your imaginary plumber not only would he have never been offered the contract he was, he would never even have gotten past Single A or more likely never even have been drafted. Professional athletes are only paid this much because so few people can do their jobs. Some choose to be bitter about it, I choose to accept it. There are a lot more serviceable plumbers in this country then there are major league caliber left fielders, if you can’t find one of them then perhaps you’re not looking hard enough.

• tfbuckfutter - Apr 24, 2013 at 8:41 PM

First of all, settle down on the “bro” there preppy.

I forgot to mention the plumber who plumber my house came with recommendations and an pretty reasonable track record (perhaps not solid enough to justify his estimate of how much it was going to cost, but I went with him anyway because the person signing the checks in my house is kind of an egomaniac who blows a lot of money on questionable things)…..

But in MY house, exploding shit sinks. All over the place. So he may have well been an exceptional plumber elsewhere, but in MY experience with him, he’s a really fucking bad plumber. So, in addition to missing work a lot for a series of ailments, the days he WAS at work, he wasn’t even coming close to doing the job of an AVERAGE plumber let alone a decent one worth what I’m paying him.

And that’s my point…..Carl Crawford’s time in Boston was as valuable as having shit literally dripping from your ceiling and onto surfaces designed for preparing meals.

• conjecture101 - Apr 24, 2013 at 10:39 PM

That’s actually a really good point, I hadn’t thought of it like that.

14. anderscorey - Apr 24, 2013 at 3:11 PM

like yourself?

15. skipp504 - Apr 24, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I understand that people are upset about the bitchin Carl is doing about the past but he is actually having a pretty good season so far. Am I wrong?

16. bjoe23 - Apr 24, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Says the guy who is basically begging for likes in comment section. Shut up.

17. tfbuckfutter - Apr 24, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Careful Carl.

You keep talking so much and you might dislocate your jaw end up having 2 more seasons wiped out.

Asshole.

18. dgcaz - Apr 24, 2013 at 3:33 PM

Why does this guy keep advertising the fact that he has no balls and couldn’t handle the pressure of playing in Boston?

19. mazblast - Apr 24, 2013 at 3:46 PM

Carl, you knew exactly what the media and fans are like in Boston. The former will always look for a reason to slam you and will invent reasons if there are none; the latter are as wayward as the wind and always have been. You know it, but you took the money and apparently were willing to brave the slings and arrows of the media and fans. It didn’t work out a bit, but you still have the money. Shut up about it already.

20. soxfan34110 - Apr 24, 2013 at 3:46 PM

He needs to get over this already! He’s the guy who tells everyone how bad his ex-wife was to him and he’s so happy to be free of her, but yet he can’t seem to stop talking about her all the time, and manages to bring her up at the most random of occasions. I think he feels jilted.

21. sdelmonte - Apr 24, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Where do I get that graphic?

• geoknows - Apr 24, 2013 at 4:25 PM

Right-click on it and hit “Copy” and you can paste it into whatever document you would like. Or you can select “Save Picture As” or “Save Target As” and save it wherever you want.

22. buddaley - Apr 24, 2013 at 4:05 PM

From another site:

_________________________________________________________________
    Crawford says he was frustrated and unhappy in Boston. And apparently, “Crawford takes care not to assign blame for what happened in Boston – not to anyone with the Red Sox, not to himself. He’d rather just roll with the present.” So where exactly is he crying or acting immaturely or in any way saying anything that should be taken amiss?

Yes, he does say the harder he tried, the worse he played. And he also notes that being criticized in the press was unpleasant. Of course, we fans always want our players to avoid cliches and be up front-unless of course they are blunt about not feeling happy. Then we want them to hide behind cliches about being sorry things didn’t work out and loving the people and city anyway. Or that he should “man up” and take full responsibility for his failures even if injuries were a factor.

I don’t see that Crawford sought out the interview to air his feelings. He was asked questions and answered them.
    __________________________________________________________________
    Come on Craig. Where does he ask for sympathy? Maybe he should just tell interviewers the past is past and to stop asking him questions. Maybe he is not media savvy. He doesn’t need sympathy but neither does he deserve snide comments aimed at him. He was a big ticket ball player who disappointed the team and its fans, but nothing he did suggests he loafed or did anything but try to live up to expectations.

23. jason9696 - Apr 24, 2013 at 4:10 PM

This guy should shut the fvck up already. What a moron!!!

24. geoknows - Apr 24, 2013 at 4:27 PM

I’m sure he had a big grin on his face on the 15th of every month when he was handed his pay envelope. A few million bucks handed to you on a monthly basis when you’re sitting around not working will do wonders for your morale.

25. beefytrout - Apr 24, 2013 at 4:45 PM

apparently “not letting things go” is a fallacy of many baseball writers…

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win