Apr 24, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
April isn’t even over yet and Cubs manager Dale Sveum is already getting the dreaded public vote of confidence from general manager Jed Hoyer.
With the Cubs off to a 6-13 start and Sveum making odd comments about possibly sending Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo to the minors Hoyer told reporters: “He’s got our full support. We’re all in this together.”
Here’s a little more, via Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com:
It’s been painful to watch because we keep on squandering leads. That’s on Theo [Epstein] and that’s on me. We look at it and we have to figure out ways to get better. We’re not the most talented team in the league right now. We’re trying to build to get there.
But as we get there, we can’t continue to make the kind of mistakes we’ve been making. We have to clean it up. We have to get better. That’s on us. Dale has our complete support. [Job security is] not what he should be thinking about in the least.
There’s certainly enough room for connecting the dots to say the “we have to clean it up” stuff applies to Sveum and his coaching staff, but you can watch the CSNChicago.com video of Hoyer and judge for yourself.
Sveum is 67-114 (.370) as Cubs manager.
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 7
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 11
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 88
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)