Apr 24, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
April isn’t even over yet and Cubs manager Dale Sveum is already getting the dreaded public vote of confidence from general manager Jed Hoyer.
With the Cubs off to a 6-13 start and Sveum making odd comments about possibly sending Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo to the minors Hoyer told reporters: “He’s got our full support. We’re all in this together.”
Here’s a little more, via Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com:
It’s been painful to watch because we keep on squandering leads. That’s on Theo [Epstein] and that’s on me. We look at it and we have to figure out ways to get better. We’re not the most talented team in the league right now. We’re trying to build to get there.
But as we get there, we can’t continue to make the kind of mistakes we’ve been making. We have to clean it up. We have to get better. That’s on us. Dale has our complete support. [Job security is] not what he should be thinking about in the least.
There’s certainly enough room for connecting the dots to say the “we have to clean it up” stuff applies to Sveum and his coaching staff, but you can watch the CSNChicago.com video of Hoyer and judge for yourself.
Sveum is 67-114 (.370) as Cubs manager.
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 5
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 16
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 33
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 67
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 7
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)