Apr 24, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
April isn’t even over yet and Cubs manager Dale Sveum is already getting the dreaded public vote of confidence from general manager Jed Hoyer.
With the Cubs off to a 6-13 start and Sveum making odd comments about possibly sending Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo to the minors Hoyer told reporters: “He’s got our full support. We’re all in this together.”
Here’s a little more, via Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com:
It’s been painful to watch because we keep on squandering leads. That’s on Theo [Epstein] and that’s on me. We look at it and we have to figure out ways to get better. We’re not the most talented team in the league right now. We’re trying to build to get there.
But as we get there, we can’t continue to make the kind of mistakes we’ve been making. We have to clean it up. We have to get better. That’s on us. Dale has our complete support. [Job security is] not what he should be thinking about in the least.
There’s certainly enough room for connecting the dots to say the “we have to clean it up” stuff applies to Sveum and his coaching staff, but you can watch the CSNChicago.com video of Hoyer and judge for yourself.
Sveum is 67-114 (.370) as Cubs manager.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)