Apr 24, 2013, 11:51 AM EST
April isn’t even over yet and Cubs manager Dale Sveum is already getting the dreaded public vote of confidence from general manager Jed Hoyer.
With the Cubs off to a 6-13 start and Sveum making odd comments about possibly sending Starlin Castro and Anthony Rizzo to the minors Hoyer told reporters: “He’s got our full support. We’re all in this together.”
Here’s a little more, via Patrick Mooney of CSNChicago.com:
It’s been painful to watch because we keep on squandering leads. That’s on Theo [Epstein] and that’s on me. We look at it and we have to figure out ways to get better. We’re not the most talented team in the league right now. We’re trying to build to get there.
But as we get there, we can’t continue to make the kind of mistakes we’ve been making. We have to clean it up. We have to get better. That’s on us. Dale has our complete support. [Job security is] not what he should be thinking about in the least.
There’s certainly enough room for connecting the dots to say the “we have to clean it up” stuff applies to Sveum and his coaching staff, but you can watch the CSNChicago.com video of Hoyer and judge for yourself.
Sveum is 67-114 (.370) as Cubs manager.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 9
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)